Author Topic: New data show temperatures above 86F begin a precipitous decline of EV performance  (Read 593 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Thinker by Olivia Murray 8/7/2023

Okay, so let me get this straight regarding the "quirks" of electric vehicles.  If you're fleeing a natural disaster, like a hurricane, for instance, the nature of the design might impede efficient and safe evacuation, or they might simply explode, because exposure to salt water can link the positive and negative battery terminals, causing a short circuit.  Well, if they're just sitting there, too, I guess, there's still a heightened risk of spontaneous explosion with a long-burning, extra-hot, inextinguishable fire.  They don't really work in "cold" weather, and now, according to new data, "excessive heat can greatly diminish electric vehicle range," too?

Recurrent, an auto company based in Seattle, has a mission to "accelerate the overall adoption" of E.V.s and, to do so, strives to provide "transparency and confidence" in pre-owned E.V. purchases.  This past Friday, the enterprise released a research report titled "Deep Dive: Lithium Ion Batteries and Heat," which included a hilariously absurd graphic (although undoubtedly it wasn't meant to be taken as such) that showed the "optimal temperature" range to avoid issues.  That scope was limited to between 59 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit.  Outside that limited field, there are either "slow reactions" or "accelerated side reactions," like those listed at the outset of this blog post.  From the report itself:

Given the risks of excess heat in a battery, thermal management systems are essential to maintain safe operating temperatures. If the battery overheats, it can lead to safety hazards, reduced battery performance, and accelerated degradation of the battery components.

More: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/08/new_data_shows_temperatures_above_86_f_begins_a_precipitous_decline_of_ev_performance.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, between this and the cold, EVs ought to be great transportation for about 10 weeks out of the year, here, despite the fact that you can't haul jack, and will lose mileage in the wind, and the towns are too far apart to get there in one charge...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, between this and the cold, EVs ought to be great transportation for about 10 weeks out of the year, here, despite the fact that you can't haul jack, and will lose mileage in the wind, and the towns are too far apart to get there in one charge...

It's over 100F here for 5-6 months a year.  Frequently in my town it's 115-120F.  I wonder how those batteries will get me out of my driveway.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: