Author Topic: 2 Years After The Afghanistan Debacle, Veterans And Their Families Still Suffer  (Read 151 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
2 Years After The Afghanistan Debacle, Veterans And Their Families Still Suffer
By John Hughes
August 6, 2023

Public Domain
At 1159 pm on 30 AUG 2021, the last C-17 aircraft carrying US service members left Kabul, ending a nearly 20-year war. The embarrassing final act marked the conclusion of America’s longest war. Terrorists were released, the Taliban resumed control of the country, billions of dollars worth of advanced weaponry were handed to the enemy, and American civilians remained trapped in the country.

Statistics to recall from the war in Afghanistan:

832,000               estimated number service members who served in Afghanistan

2,448                    service members killed or died of wounds

20,000+               service members wounded

1,500+                 service members with limbs amputated

0                            senior general officers (many West Pointers) fired or disciplined

US military members served for many reasons including patriotism after 9/11. As an all-volunteer force, none served against their will, making the dedication of all who went all the more remarkable compared to other militaries and times in history where conscription provided large percentages of combat formations.

Deployments risked life and limb. They also risked mental health, financial instability, relationships woes, and career progression (for reservists and national guardsmen). Service members knew the risks and went anyway.

Deployments affected more than just those that deployed. Spouses sacrificed much for their loved ones. Emotional, financial, and marital hardships were experienced in varying degrees by all. Children experienced fear and separation anxiety as their parents served in a war zone.

https://armedforces.press/2-years-after-the-afghanistan-debacle-veterans-and-their-families-still-suffer/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson