Author Topic: Why the U.S. Hasn't Declared a Coup in Niger  (Read 288 times)

Offline Kamaji

Why the U.S. Hasn't Declared a Coup in Niger
« on: August 08, 2023, 01:07:42 pm »
Why the U.S. Hasn't Declared a Coup in Niger

The U.S. is prioritizing foreign militaries over democracies.

WILLIAM RAMPE

Niger, a key U.S. ally in Western Africa, is undergoing a political crisis that has raised questions about the United States' role in fostering foreign militaries in the name of fighting terrorism.

On July 26, Niger's presidential guards, headed by Gen. Abdourahmane Tchiani, detained Mohamed Bazoum, Niger's democratically-elected president, and declared "an end to the regime that you know due to the deteriorating security situation and bad governance." The new junta, officially titled the National Council for the Safeguard of the Homeland, consolidated its control by suspending the constitution, dissolving all government institutions, and closing Niger's borders.

The move drew outrage from a plethora of nations. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) condemned the "attempted coup d'état" and called for the immediate reinstatement of Bazoum while also instituting sanctions and threatening military intervention.

"The EU condemns in the strongest possible terms the coup d'état in Niger. The past days' events constitute a serious attack on stability and democracy in Niger," the European Union wrote in a press release.

The U.S. struck a similar tune as ECOWAS and the E.U., condemning Bazoum's overthrow and calling for the restoration of Niger's democracy while also suspending partnered activities with the Nigerien military. "We strongly condemn any effort to detain or subvert the functioning of Niger's democratically elected government, led by President Bazoum," said U.S. National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan in a statement.

But unlike ECOWAS and the E.U., the U.S. has neglected to call the overthrow a "coup" to avoid the legal ramifications of that declaration.

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/08/07/why-the-u-s-hasnt-declared-a-coup-in-niger/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Why the U.S. Hasn't Declared a Coup in Niger
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 01:25:41 pm »
Diplomatically, US wants to keep troops in Niger to fight terrorists, so, they need to play "nice" with whatever Government is in place.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.