Author Topic: (Illegal) Migrant shelter for 2,000 men to be built on NYC’s Randall’s Island soccer fields  (Read 284 times)

Online Kamaji

Migrant shelter for 2,000 men to be built starting as early as Monday on NYC’s Randall’s Island soccer fields

By Bernadette Hogan and Isabel Keane
August 7, 2023

Officials have confirmed a migrant shelter will be built for 2,000 men on Randall’s Island’s kiddie soccer fields, with construction starting as early as Monday.

The influx of migrants to New York City — including hundreds arriving daily — is “stretching our system to its breaking point and beyond,” Mayor Eric Adams said in a statement.

“It has become more and more of a Herculean effort to find enough beds every night,” he said.

Hizzoner said the state would be “covering the costs” of the shelter’s construction, maintenance and staffing, although officials have yet to say how much that will be.

The city last built a shelter for migrants on the island off Manhattan in October — spending at least $625,000 — only to shut it down within a matter of weeks because of reported lack of use, given its relatively isolated location.

A Randall’s Island source said the city informed local officials Monday morning that it was erecting the massive makeshift shelter on athletic Fields 82, 83, 84 and 85 — with “construction slated to begin as early as today.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/07/its-official-migrant-shelter-for-2000-men-to-be-built-starting-as-early-as-monday-on-randalls-island-soccer-fields/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So thousands of people who play soccer are screwed.  That ain't right.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Camps? ... Oh, that is terrible optics.

////00000////

The loss of usable soccer fields is a good thing.  Soccer and the Metric System are backdoor gateways to Communism.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Soccer and the Metric System are backdoor gateways to Communism.

Can't argue with that.  :pondering:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
NYC plans to house migrants on an island in the East River
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 02:04:47 pm »
NYC plans to house migrants on an island in the East River

New York Mayor Eric Adams says the city will house as many as 2,000 migrants on an island in the East River where a migrant center was set up last year and then taken down weeks later
ByKAREN MATTHEWS Associated Press
August 7, 2023, 2:38 PM

NEW YORK -- New York Mayor Eric Adams announced a plan Monday to house as many as 2,000 migrants on an island in the East River where a migrant center was set up last year and then taken down weeks later.

The state will reimburse the city for the cost of operating a tent city for adult migrants on Randalls Island, Adams said.

"As the number of asylum seekers in our care continues to grow by hundreds every day, stretching our system to its breaking point and beyond, it has become more and more of a Herculean effort to find enough beds every night,” Adams, a Democrat, said in a news release.

“We’re grateful to Governor Hochul and New York state for their partnership in opening this new humanitarian relief center and covering the costs, and we need more of the same from all levels of government," said Adams, who has repeatedly asked the federal government to provide more financial support to efforts to shelter migrants in New York City.

more
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nyc-plans-house-migrants-island-east-river-102081354
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MOD7

• don't always see the Light but I feel the heat