Author Topic: Cooling the planet is as easy as putting an umbrella on an asteroid and blocking out the sun  (Read 678 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
the HUSTLE BY Ben Berkley 8/7/2023

Cooling the planet is as easy as putting an umbrella on an asteroid and blocking out the sun

The sun is gonna keep boring a hole through our souls, but an ambitious idea to soften the blow is progressing.

For real?

Szapudi published a paper on the idea last week. It proposes:

•   Parking a solar shield between Earth and the sun — in a fixed spot ~1m miles from our planet — to reduce direct exposure to sunlight.

•   The idea has come up before, but ran into a feasibility wall: the need for a shield light enough to be launchable, but heavy enough that gravity and solar radiation wouldn’t knock it out of position.

•   Szapudi beats that with his proposal: capturing an asteroid (something that’s apparently possible) and using it as a counterweight for a screen.

The concept now theoretically works, and would offer quite a lifeline: It’d block ~1.7% of solar radiation, offering a small but meaningful global temperature drop.

Here’s the reality check

This solar shield idea entering the realm of possibility is the headline here. In practice, there’s still a long way to go.

•   Today’s materials for a shield and asteroid tether are still too heavy for today’s rockets — though Szapudi suggests that may change in the next few decades.

More: https://thehustle.co/cooling-the-planet-is-as-easy-as-putting-an-umbrella-on-an-asteroid-and-blocking-out-the-sun/

Offline Kamaji

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Already been tried by C. Montgomery Burns.

May I suggest nuking active volcanoes to induce the 536 A.D. effect?  We already have the stockpiled nukes and the dormant volcanoes sitting around, wasting space.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 02:10:49 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Hardly a new idea blocking the sun, just one more nut job with a different method.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/02/08/space-dust-moon-climate-change/

And speaking of nut jobs, the idiots at the White Hut are pushing this lunacy too!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Speaking of blocking the sun,I propose we have the gooberment buy  up ALL the sunscreen in production and on grocery shelves,and get the people on welfare and unemployment to run it into the planet to keep the sun away.

Yeah,THAT oughta do it!

You can thank me later by sending me cash  money.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
the HUSTLE BY Ben Berkley 8/7/2023

Cooling the planet is as easy as putting an umbrella on an asteroid and blocking out the sun

The sun is gonna keep boring a hole through our souls, but an ambitious idea to soften the blow is progressing.

For real?

Szapudi published a paper on the idea last week. It proposes:

•   Parking a solar shield between Earth and the sun — in a fixed spot ~1m miles from our planet — to reduce direct exposure to sunlight.

•   The idea has come up before, but ran into a feasibility wall: the need for a shield light enough to be launchable, but heavy enough that gravity and solar radiation wouldn’t knock it out of position.

•   Szapudi beats that with his proposal: capturing an asteroid (something that’s apparently possible) and using it as a counterweight for a screen.

The concept now theoretically works, and would offer quite a lifeline: It’d block ~1.7% of solar radiation, offering a small but meaningful global temperature drop.

Here’s the reality check

This solar shield idea entering the realm of possibility is the headline here. In practice, there’s still a long way to go.

•   Today’s materials for a shield and asteroid tether are still too heavy for today’s rockets — though Szapudi suggests that may change in the next few decades.

More: https://thehustle.co/cooling-the-planet-is-as-easy-as-putting-an-umbrella-on-an-asteroid-and-blocking-out-the-sun/

If they're worried about CO2 in the atmosphere, there was a guy who said all we needed to do was put iron in the oceans, it would solve it very quickly apparently. The Canadian government basically raided his office and censored the guy. Crazy story.

Offline ScottinVA

What?? It’s not just a matter of eating bugs and driving expensive electric kiddie cars?