Author Topic: Late Night Network TV Shows Are Dead, They Just Don't Know It  (Read 411 times)

Offline Kamaji

Late Night Network TV Shows Are Dead, They Just Don't Know It
« on: August 07, 2023, 12:53:05 pm »
Late Night Network TV Shows Are Dead, They Just Don't Know It

By Jim Thompson
August 07, 2023

Sit down. I have bad news. The self-anointed kings of late-night TV think they are on hiatus, but they are really dead. They just don’t know it.

Read on after you’ve had a moment.

I knew that Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, and Stephen Colbert were on a forced break. I read it somewhere, likely on RedState. The sets are dark because the writers who produce what passes as comedy skits and opening monologues are walking picket lines – with misspelled signs.

https://twitter.com/JimmySportToons/status/1683833638654480387

You have to admit, misspelling a writer picket strike sign is comedy gold. Unintentional – but gold. All those shows are airing retreads. However, one late-night show is airing new episodes. “Gutfeld!” is still pumping out new shows with new material and hosting new guests. How does he manage such sorcery? Gutfeld doesn’t rely on writers. He and his staff write their own material. Gutfeld’s show is also fundamentally different from Jimmy, Jimmy, and Stephen. It’s entertaining and funny.

Gutfeld! is drawing two million viewers a night. Has anyone really noticed that The Tonight Show is retreading its May 1, 2023, Rosie O’Donnell show? Apparently not. If you care to know, Rosie looks like Nathan Lane with 50 extra pounds. She and Jimmy collectively hyperventilated over Broadway shows and TikTok videos. You’re caught up. You’re welcome.

CNN Business recognizes that the days of Late-Night dominance on network TV are over. People have multiple choices, and most people don’t want to be fire-hosed with unfunny monologues and political lectures or dancers in needle costumes close to bedtime.

Source:  https://redstate.com/jimthompson/2023/08/07/late-night-network-tv-shows-are-dead-they-just-dont-know-it-n788763

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Late Night Network TV Shows Are Dead, They Just Don't Know It
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 11:47:32 pm »
They've been dead for a long time.

Allen, Paar, Carson... to think there were three darn-near-perfect late-night hosts in a row, for almost 40 years... how did America get that lucky? And those guys came not long after Bob Hope had a decade-long run on radio with a similar format. At least the ones afterward, early Letterman, and eventually late-era Leno, had moments.

The current crop can't hold a candle. I'll be honest, I think it started with Conan. I know Letterman did a lot of bizarre, off-the-wall stuff, but Conan came from Harvard, and his entire shtick was steeped in smugness, a mockery of the whole format that stretched itself trying to be crass.

But you look at today's crop. Fallon is just plain bland, who makes up for a total lack of comic delivery with celebrity gimmicks. Colbert is a decent interviewer but his comedy drifts off into the inexplicable a lot, much like late-era Letterman. Corden ran so far over budget with his own celebrity gimmicks that he just lost his show. Meyers probably has the best delivery of the lot but he has a habit of getting smug. And Kimmel? I don't even know how to describe Kimmel. I mean, a guy whose signature bit is having parents lie to their kids to make them cry... there's no description for that.

You compare the structured bits that Fallon and Corden have done... but then you look at how Allen, Paar, and Carson handled celebrities. They had a roster of D-listers, famous outside the show but only marginally so, who were allowed to be themselves. Instead of being forced to mimic a music video, sing karaoke in a car or play classroom instruments, Carson just put Buddy Hackett or Charles Nelson Reilly into the guest's chair and let 'em rip. But that might also be part of the problem: today's guests have less to add to the conversation.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024