Author Topic: Secrets Of The USS Zumwalt: The Largest Destroyer Ever Built  (Read 339 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Secrets Of The USS Zumwalt: The Largest Destroyer Ever Built
Story by Kendra Bruning •

The first ship of any new class is named for both the ship and the its classification. The first Nimitz class carrier was named the USS Nimitz and the first Arleigh Burke-class destroyer was named the USS Arleigh Burke. It's a distinction that will live on in naval history.

The USS Zumwalt belongs to a new line of ships designed for the US Navy, originating from the DD-21 program aimed at developing a 21st-century destroyer. Creating the Zumwalt class ship was a challenging and lengthy process, as it faced budget constraints and nearly got canceled. Originally, the plan was to build 32 of the destroyers, but only three received funding and were constructed.

The maiden launch of the first USS Zumwalt took place a decade ago. Rigorous testing and sea trials have been conducted, making it into one of the most technologically advanced destroyers in existence. The ship boasts cutting-edge weapon systems, automation technology, and a powerful and reliable propulsion system. Over the course of 10 years, it has undergone retrofits and tested the latest military weaponry.

Today, we delve into the secrets of the USS Zumwalt: the largest destroyer ever built, to uncover the impressive capabilities and groundbreaking features of this engineering marvel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/secrets-of-the-uss-zumwalt-the-largest-destroyer-ever-built/ar-AA1eSvQE?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=65bb0ed3efa7498abf7b8426332d7dda&ei=20
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Secrets Of The USS Zumwalt: The Largest Destroyer Ever Built
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 10:39:17 am »
The Titanic was an engineering marvel, too! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 10:53:16 am »
The thing was a product of first, Navy's "Sea Enterprise"  of the 1990s, which focused on automation and trying to do more with less, and then Rumsfeld's "Transformation" program of the early 2000s, which focused on more automation and modular load-outs.  None of it every worked as advertised and the ship has since lost its mission.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 10:20:01 pm »
The biggest "secret":
How to get the thing to run right.
Nobody seems to have figured that out yet.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 10:54:34 pm »
I don't get it. If they wanted to build a Cruiser,they should have just called it a Cruiser from the beginning.

What next,building tug boats the size of Destroyers and still calling them tug boats?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!