Author Topic: U.S. Government Decides Not to Invoke POW Status for Travis King  (Read 677 times)

Offline Kamaji

U.S. Government Decides Not to Invoke POW Status for Travis King

BY RICK MORAN
AUGUST 05, 2023

To date, the United States Government has decided not to invoke prisoner of war status for Travis King, the U.S. soldier who escaped custody last month and ran across the heavily guarded border with North Korea.

If the U.S. fails to claim him as a captured combatant, King would be denied certain protections available under the Geneva Convention.

Ordinarily, King would automatically qualify as a prisoner of war, given that the U.S. and North Korea are still technically at war. But King’s decision to run across the border of his own free will and in civilian clothes appeared to have disqualified him from that status.

“Private King must be treated humanely in accordance with international law,” a Pentagon spokesperson said.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1687590507747082240

The U.S. still has the option of calling King a POW, but the U.S. position on that is still evolving and may change as additional information is made available.

Source:  https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2023/08/05/u-s-government-decides-not-to-invoke-pow-status-for-travis-king-n1716497

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: U.S. Government Decides Not to Invoke POW Status for Travis King
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 08:35:05 pm »
Goodbye, Mr. King.
Hope you like it over there...

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 11:17:31 pm »
  Heads Up:  This is how you say "I didnt do nuthin" in Korean.   

나는 아무것도하지 않았다
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 11:50:42 pm »
AFAIC, NoKo is welcome to keep his @#$, and the rest of him, too.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 04:53:17 pm »
AFAIC, NoKo is welcome to keep his @#$, and the rest of him, too.

:thumbsup:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 05:27:13 pm »
Invoking POW status implies a state of war exists between North Korea and the United States.

////00000////

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 05:32:16 pm »
Invoking POW status implies a state of war exists between North Korea and the United States.

////00000////

Technically, it still does.  The parties signed an armistice in 1953 that stopped active hostilities, but didn't resolve the state of war.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 05:41:41 pm »

////00000////

Oh, but it does. Hostilities were stopped on the basis of a 'cease fire', not an armistice.

Technically, the Korean War is not over.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 05:42:33 pm »
@Kamaji At least on this GMTA.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 06:05:35 pm »
To bad he didn't play women's basketball.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.