Author Topic: Pence confirms he took notes on Trump about overturning election  (Read 1130 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pence confirms he took notes on Trump about overturning election
by Julia Shapero - 08/06/23 6:00 AM ET

Former Vice President Mike Pence has confirmed that he took notes on his conversations with former President Trump leading up to the Jan. 6 riot, as Trump repeatedly pressured him to reject the results of the 2020 election during the certification in Congress.

“From time to time, particularly at important moments, I had a practice of scribbling a note or two on my calendar, just to memorialize it and remember it,” Pence said in an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation” that aired on Sunday.

“I generally didn’t make a practice of taking notes in meetings over the four-year period of time, but given the momentous events that were unfolding, I did take a few notes to remind myself of what had been said,” he added.

The four-count indictment brought against Trump on Tuesday over his efforts to remain in power after the 2020 election referenced Pence’s contemporaneous, and previously unreported, notes from the time.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4139548-pence-confirms-notes-trump-overturning-election/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Pence confirms he took notes on Trump about overturning election
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 02:10:23 pm »
 Pence says he has no plans to testify against Trump during trial
by Julia Shapero - 08/06/23 6:00 AM ET

Former Vice President Mike Pence said he has no plans to testify against former President Trump at trial after his former boss was indicted on federal charges on Tuesday over his efforts to remain in power after losing the 2020 election.

“I have no plans to testify, but people can be confident we’ll obey the law,” Pence said on CBS’ “Face the Nation” in an interview that aired Sunday. “We’ll respond to the call of the law, if it comes, and we’ll just tell the truth.”

Pence appeared before the federal grand jury in the case in April, after previously challenging a subpoena from special counsel Jack Smith. While a federal judge limited the scope of his testimony, the former vice president was ultimately ordered to testify.

“We challenged in court the scope of any testimony that I could provide, because as president of the Senate, the Constitution provides me with the protections that are afforded to members of Congress,” Pence added. “We won that at the lower court level and, and ultimately, we responded to a subpoena.”

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4139679-pence-no-plans-to-testify-against-trump-during-trial/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 03:46:16 pm »
He should testify
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 04:00:35 pm »
He's going to testify.  He just said he currently has no plans to testify because he has not yet been subpoenaed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 04:05:46 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 04:04:06 pm »
Brutus will be there.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 04:06:02 pm »
Brutus will be there.

Why cause is he not loyal to the Orange Tinted Mussolini?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 04:20:10 pm »
Brutus will be there.

I expect all he is going to do is tell the literal truth.  As he should.  If that causes problems for Trump, that's not on Pence.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 04:25:03 pm »
I really don't care that Pence said he took notes, when did he take them, who is his witless, were they notarized? Pence is a butthurt politician so excuse me if I don't quite believe him.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 04:57:12 pm »
I really don't care that Pence said he took notes, when did he take them, who is his witless, were they notarized? Pence is a butthurt politician so excuse me if I don't quite believe him.

Oh, I have little doubt he took notes to help hang Trump and I firmly believe he was involved in orchestrating the J6 insurrection
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 05:50:02 pm »
Obviously, if he's lying, that's a different story.

But what if simply telling the truth - just repeating exactly much of what Trump told him - hurts Trump either politically or legally?

Because I think Pence already has said publicly what Trump said to him, and I don't think anyone in the Trump camp has actually denied any of it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:58:18 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 05:50:56 pm »
Oh, I have little doubt he took notes to help hang Trump and I firmly believe he was involved in orchestrating the J6 insurrection

Do you also still believe he refused to hear the election objections and have them voted upon by the House and Senate?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:58:04 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline berdie

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 07:16:58 pm »
FWIW, I do think Pence followed the Constitution. Any refusal of the election should have happened at the state level prior to the votes being submitted. If there were doubts, the voters of the states should have kicked up a fuss.

Can you imagine the uproar if Kammie did what it is being proposed?

The whole premise establishes a dangerous precedent.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 07:26:49 pm »
Hahaha, go ahead and testify Pence. If convos with the VP aren't Executive Privilege and can be subpoened, then nothing is.

Let that precedent get out there to use on the Biden admin.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2023, 07:31:25 pm »
Hahaha, go ahead and testify Pence. If convos with the VP aren't Executive Privilege and can be subpoened, then nothing is.

Let that precedent get out there to use on the Biden admin.

Great point.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2023, 08:29:39 pm »
FWIW, I do think Pence followed the Constitution. Any refusal of the election should have happened at the state level prior to the votes being submitted. If there were doubts, the voters of the states should have kicked up a fuss.

Can you imagine the uproar if Kammie did what it is being proposed?

The whole premise establishes a dangerous precedent.

He also let the objections be heard and voted upon by the House and Senate, as the Electoral Count Act required (not sure if that's constitutional, but that's a separate issue...)

Anyway, to the extent that anyone does have the right to challenged the count after the state certifications are done, it can't just be the VP.  That's just nuts.  It would have to be either the courts, or Congress.  The entire concept of checks and balances is out the window if the VP can alter the EC vote at his own discretion, especially given that he may well be (as he was in 2020) one of the contestants for whom votes are being tabulated.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 08:32:24 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2023, 09:31:15 pm »
He also let the objections be heard and voted upon by the House and Senate, as the Electoral Count Act required (not sure if that's constitutional, but that's a separate issue...)

Anyway, to the extent that anyone does have the right to challenged the count after the state certifications are done, it can't just be the VP.  That's just nuts.  It would have to be either the courts, or Congress.  The entire concept of checks and balances is out the window if the VP can alter the EC vote at his own discretion, especially given that he may well be (as he was in 2020) one of the contestants for whom votes are being tabulated.

Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley both objected to the vote count -- no, the VP can't change the vote count, but he should have considered and addressed the objections by Cruz and Hawley.  Of course, that was right around the time that the insurrectionists stormed into the Senate. Their objections weren't take up afterwards; Pence then certified the election.

Again, no one will ever convince me that Pence and Pelosi didn't know about the planned insurrection ahead of time.

IMHO Pelosi and Pence have some 'splainin' to do, although that will never happen.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2023, 09:37:59 pm »
For Georgia, the thing to do would have been to call for a special session of the State Legislature to investigate why the Secretary of State was in egregious violation of State law in regard to the November election.  This is what Trump should have pushed for.  There were already a group of State Senators (led by Brandon Beech) petitioning for this.  But they got zero help from Trump.  Zero.  None.  Zilch.  Nada.  He was too busy demanding that he be declared the winner, and too arrogant to do the work to prove why.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2023, 02:37:04 am »
Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley both objected to the vote count -- no, the VP can't change the vote count, but he should have considered and addressed the objections by Cruz and Hawley.  Of course, that was right around the time that the insurrectionists stormed into the Senate. Their objections weren't take up afterwards; Pence then certified the election.

NO NO NO NO NO.  That is false.  It is a lie.

Damn this is frustrating. 

I had this exact same conversation with you on this topic a few weeks back.  The Hawley and Cruz objections were heard that evening when Congress reconvened.   They were debated, and then voted upon.  I posted the articles, the vote totals, and the link to the official vote tallies on those two objections.  The objections were heard, debated, and voted upon by Congress on the evening of January 6, very early morning of January 7.  The votes were not certified until after that.  That is an historical fact.

There were some media reports on the afternoon of January 6 that the objections would not be heard, and the election just certified.  I remember watching that chryon scrolling on the TV that afternoon and thinking that was a bad idea.

But either that initial report was an error, or Congress/Pence reconsidered later in the day, because the objections were made, debated, and voted upon separately by both the House and Senate.

I'm not sure what group is out there pushing the lie that it didn't happen, but they are simply lying.  Don't take my word for it - you can literally watch the Senate debate and vote on Senator Cruz's Arizona vote on C-Span right here.  First, the part of the debate before adjournment because of the riot, with Pence himself presiding: 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?507698-2/senate-debate-arizona-electoral-college-vote-challenge-part-1

And then the Senate returning to the chamber after the riot,.continuing the debate, and then voting on Cruz's Arizona objection.  Once again, Pence actually presiding at the exact event you claim he prevented from occuring.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?507698-5/senate-debate-arizona-electoral-college-vote-challenge-part-2

And then the vote on Hawley's Pennsylvania objections, again with Mike Pence presiding.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?507698-101/senate-debate-pennsylvania-electoral-college-vote-challenge

The claim that the election objections were not taken up after the riot is simply false.   You can literally watch the post-riot debate and vote on the objections yourself in the above links.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 02:57:49 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2023, 07:20:13 pm »
 pointing-down

"Also strange how Smith has built his case around Pence's various recollections of what Trump is supposed to have said about stuff but somehow Smith forgot to mention that Pence himself caused most of the damage by raising false hopes with his pre-J6 speech?" (Video)

https://twitter.com/HansMahncke/status/1686570440418873344

« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 07:21:08 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2023, 07:23:56 pm »
FLASHBACK: In December 2020 at the TPUSA Summit, Mike Pence said he would keep fighting until ‘every illegal vote is thrown out’. That was a lie. (Video)

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1686780757920935936

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2023, 07:24:18 pm »
NO NO NO NO NO.  That is false.  It is a lie.

Damn this is frustrating. 

I had this exact same conversation with you on this topic a few weeks back.  The Hawley and Cruz objections were heard that evening when Congress reconvened.   They were debated, and then voted upon.  I posted the articles, the vote totals, and the link to the official vote tallies on those two objections.  The objections were heard, debated, and voted upon by Congress on the evening of January 6, very early morning of January 7.  The votes were not certified until after that.  That is an historical fact.

There were some media reports on the afternoon of January 6 that the objections would not be heard, and the election just certified.  I remember watching that chryon scrolling on the TV that afternoon and thinking that was a bad idea.

But either that initial report was an error, or Congress/Pence reconsidered later in the day, because the objections were made, debated, and voted upon separately by both the House and Senate.

I'm not sure what group is out there pushing the lie that it didn't happen, but they are simply lying.  Don't take my word for it - you can literally watch the Senate debate and vote on Senator Cruz's Arizona vote on C-Span right here.  First, the part of the debate before adjournment because of the riot, with Pence himself presiding: 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?507698-2/senate-debate-arizona-electoral-college-vote-challenge-part-1

And then the Senate returning to the chamber after the riot,.continuing the debate, and then voting on Cruz's Arizona objection.  Once again, Pence actually presiding at the exact event you claim he prevented from occuring.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?507698-5/senate-debate-arizona-electoral-college-vote-challenge-part-2

And then the vote on Hawley's Pennsylvania objections, again with Mike Pence presiding.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?507698-101/senate-debate-pennsylvania-electoral-college-vote-challenge

The claim that the election objections were not taken up after the riot is simply false.   You can literally watch the post-riot debate and vote on the objections yourself in the above links.

Thank you for the information @Maj. Bill Martin