Author Topic: Gen Z fears they’re ‘the next cringe generation’ after Gen Alpha memes make them feel old  (Read 628 times)

Online Kamaji

Gen Z fears they’re ‘the next cringe generation’ after Gen Alpha memes make them feel old

By News.com.au
August 4, 2023

Move aside Gen Z, there is an even younger generation with an even weirder sense of humor taking over the internet.

Years of making fun of “cringe” Millennials have finally caught up with Gen Z, with a popular new meme causing many of the youngers to fear they are now “old” and “out of touch”.

The eldest members of Generation Alpha, born in the early 2010s, are now entering their tween years and their parents have finally let them make their own social media accounts.

They have wasted no time in making their mark on the internet – much to the dismay of their older counterparts.

The trend causing the most distress among Gen Z members is series of videos known as “Skibidi Toilet”, which features a number of toilet-like creatures trying to take over the world set to strange but catchy music.

It was initially a YouTube series created by user DaFuq!?Boom!, who has more than 23 million subscribers.

The series has now expanded to TikTok and, to Gen Alpha, it is apparently the height of comedy.

And it seems no one is more confused by this trend than Gen Z who, for the first time, are being made to feel “old”.

TikTok has been flooded with videos and comments from Gen Zers struggling to understand the younger generation’s obsession with this new meme and fearing what the rise of Gen Alpha means for them.

“So this is how Millennials feel seeing our memes? Because I understand why they hate us now,” user Katherine George said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/04/gen-z-fears-theyre-the-next-cringe-generation-after-gen-alpha-memes-make-them-feel-old/

Online Kamaji

:mauslaff:

Welcome to reality, zoomers.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
What is the obsession today with youth? Even the Boomers at least gave people till 30. What is it now, 18?

And 'out of touch'? What does that mean? Do teens realize that most of the content they consume is created by older, sometimes way older people?

It's also 'cringey' to follow along with the group hive mind and judge the world by online culture provided by others in a circular self-fulfilling prophecy.

Maybe think about being an individual and creating/building stuff and forging your own path v. being a sheep.

What I really love is Gen X is never ever included in these discussions for the above reason.  :smokin:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 06:01:33 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
So they could dish disparaging comments, content, articles, etc. towards "boomers" and "X'ers", but now that it's their turn, they're whining?

Confirmation that they truly are the "snowflake" generation.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Getting older means I've made it through another day on God's good green Earth.

////00000////

Thanks to better living through Big Pharma, old stallions no longer need to worry about being put out to pasture or being sent to the glue factory.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline berdie

I kind of hate that each generation is branded with a name. It's divisive.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I kind of hate that each generation is branded with a name. It's divisive.
I agree. I remember when the Generation gap' was invented.

We just liked a little different music (but a lot of the same), all liked the same food, and through the generations, taught and learned from each other.

The branding leads to blame, finger pointing, derision, and interrupts all the good about extended family, and respect for our elders and the 'old ways', technology that may be made less convenient by modern developments, but would often get the job done with far less., well, except work.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis