Author Topic: Marine Corps now has unit in Indo-Pacific flying Reaper drones  (Read 156 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine Corps now has unit in Indo-Pacific flying Reaper drones
By Irene Loewenson
 Aug 3, 05:41 PM

A Marine squadron has become the only Marine unit in the Indo-Pacific to reach an early operational milestone with MQ-9 Reaper drones, according to the Corps.

Marine Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Squadron 3, also known as the Phantoms, on Wednesday celebrated reaching initial operational capability with the remotely piloted aircraft at a ceremony at Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, according to a Marine Corps news release.

As the Marine Corps has undergone sweeping transformation with an eye toward potential conflict with China, the service’s leadership has increasingly emphasized reconnaissance and counter-reconnaissance.

The MQ-9A Reaper, which is primarily designed for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, has an endurance of greater than 20 hours and can fly to an altitude of up to 25,000 feet, according to the Corps’ 2022 aviation plan.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/08/03/marine-corps-now-has-unit-in-indo-pacific-flying-reaper-drones/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson