Author Topic: Ex-NYPD union head Ed Mullins sentenced to 2 years in prison for stealing $600K in dues  (Read 172 times)

Online Kamaji

Ex-NYPD union head Ed Mullins sentenced to 2 years in prison for stealing $600K in dues

By Rthvika Suvarna and Kyle Schnitzer
August 3, 2023

The disgraced ex-head of the NYPD’s Sergeants Benevolent Association tried pleading for mercy Thursday before he was sentenced to two years in federal prison for stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from the union.

Ed Mullins, 61, delivered a nearly five-minute speech in Manhattan federal court detailing how greed had led to his downfall and caused his family to fall apart — while vowing to do right if given another chance.

“I must make this right with the men and women of the NYPD,” said Mullins, who had asked the judge for a no-jail sentence.

“I make no excuses,” he said, choking up at the end of his statement. “I made an incredibly bad decision.”

The controversial ex-union boss copped to a wire fraud charge in January as part of a plea deal — admitting he embezzled $600,000 in member dues by submitting “false and inflated” expense reports between 2017 and 2021.

His attorney, Thomas Kenniff, on Thursday labeled Mullins a “broken man” who fell into a “rabbit hole” due to financial distress — and now is left selling used cars on an hourly wage due to his actions.

“There is no doubt that Mr. Mullins has strayed from the biblical path of right in this case, your honor,” Kenniff said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/03/ex-nypd-union-head-ed-mullins-sentenced-to-2-years-in-prison-for-stealing-600k-in-dues/

Online Kamaji

He's union so, the only points of note about the story are:  (a) he only managed to steal such a paltry amount - union bosses typically syphon off millions - and (b) he got caught.