Author Topic: Dianne Feinstein, 90, cedes power of attorney to daughter — but still serves in Congress  (Read 550 times)

Offline Kamaji

Dianne Feinstein, 90, cedes power of attorney to daughter — but still serves in Congress

By Patrick Reilly
August 3, 2023

California Sen. Dianne Feinstein has relinquished power of attorney to her daughter — even as she continues to serve in Congress at the age of 90, according to a report.

The Democratic senator — who is the oldest member of Congress — has faced calls to resign after health complications kept her away from the Capitol for months earlier this year.

Since returning to Washington DC, she has appeared frail and has had a number of public mental lapses.

Feinstein handed over power of attorney to her daughter, 66-year-old Katherine Feinstein, in part to help handle legal battles over her late husband Richard Blum’s estate, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

In one dispute, Katherine, Feinstein’s only child, is at odds with Blum’s three daughters over the ownership of a luxury beach house owned by Feinstein, according to the paper.

In a separate lawsuit, the two families are feuding over Blum’s life insurance, which Feinstein claims she needs to cover her increasing medical costs, The Times reported.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/03/dianne-feinstein-90-cedes-power-of-attorney-to-daughter/

Offline Kamaji

So, she's not competent to manage her own affairs, but she is still competent to manage the country's affairs?!?!

WTF!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, she's not competent to manage her own affairs, but she is still competent to manage the country's affairs?!?!

WTF!
My reaction, precisely!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Would this be considered a proxy vote, which if I recall is not allowed?
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

I assume this POA is limited to those personal financial matters.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

I assume this POA is limited to those personal financial matters.

Most likely.  Nonetheless, if she's not competent to handle her personal affairs, then ipso facto she is not competent to participate in managing the country's affairs, and she should be removed from office immediately.

Offline andy58-in-nh

You know that politicians have too much power when the only way they ever leave is by being carried off, feet first.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

Most likely.  Nonetheless, if she's not competent to handle her personal affairs, then ipso facto she is not competent to participate in managing the country's affairs, and she should be removed from office immediately.
Clearly. Is there a mechanism for the Senate to remove her? (Not that they will).

Offline Kamaji

You know that politicians have too much power when the only way they ever leave is by being carried off, feet first.

:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I agree that she almost certainly isn't competent to handle those affairs, but I think the argument here is that these are legal proceedings that are happening in California, and she's in D.C..  So it does make sense to give POA to someone she trusts who can pay them the attention they deserve.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer