Author Topic: Silent majority: GOP scared to ditch Trump for fresh face  (Read 2186 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Silent majority: GOP scared to ditch Trump for fresh face
« on: August 03, 2023, 08:51:17 pm »
Chip Roy says Republicans privately prefer DeSantis, but are scared to ditch Trump
by Julia Johnson, Politics Reporter
August 03, 2023 02:20 PM

Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) believes there is a new silent majority forming — a growing share of Republicans and independents who prefer Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) over former President Donald Trump in the 2024 Republican presidential primary.

In an interview with the Washington Examiner, Roy, who has endorsed DeSantis in the 2024 race, said, "My observation tells me there is a strong silent majority of people who think Gov. DeSantis would be a great direction for our country."

What's stopping people from proclaiming public support for the Florida governor, Roy said, is a fear of parting ways with Trump.

"A lot of them just don't want to break from the former president. But when you talk to them privately, they say, 'Oh man, I really really like Gov. DeSantis. I really think he's in a good spot. I really think he might give us a better shot in the general [election]. And he can serve eight years — all these things. But I just don't know about coming out against Trump,'" Roy said.

He claimed that this sentiment is coming from "citizens, activists, or members of legislature — members of Congress."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/silent-majority-chip-roy-voters-prefer-desantis-scared-ditch-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DB

Re: Silent majority: GOP scared to ditch Trump for fresh face
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 09:01:07 pm »
I hope so.

Get some courage and stand up and be counted.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 09:01:30 pm »
:facepalm2:

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 09:39:45 pm »
Chip Roy says Republicans privately prefer DeSantis, but are scared to ditch Trump
by Julia Johnson, Politics Reporter
August 03, 2023 02:20 PM

Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) believes there is a new silent majority forming — a growing share of Republicans and independents who prefer Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) over former President Donald Trump in the 2024 Republican presidential primary.

In an interview with the Washington Examiner, Roy, who has endorsed DeSantis in the 2024 race, said, "My observation tells me there is a strong silent majority of people who think Gov. DeSantis would be a great direction for our country."

What's stopping people from proclaiming public support for the Florida governor, Roy said, is a fear of parting ways with Trump.

"A lot of them just don't want to break from the former president. But when you talk to them privately, they say, 'Oh man, I really really like Gov. DeSantis. I really think he's in a good spot. I really think he might give us a better shot in the general [election]. And he can serve eight years — all these things. But I just don't know about coming out against Trump,'" Roy said.

He claimed that this sentiment is coming from "citizens, activists, or members of legislature — members of Congress."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/silent-majority-chip-roy-voters-prefer-desantis-scared-ditch-trump

It’s early, but soon enough, GOP voters are going to have to weigh their emotional bond to Trump against the certainty of defeat.  It’s time to step away from Trump and his baggage, and start anew.  There’s a lot of talent out there on the GOP side to pick from.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 09:52:30 pm »
It’s early, but soon enough, GOP voters are going to have to weigh their emotional bond to Trump against the certainty of defeat.  It’s time to step away from Trump and his baggage, and start anew.  There’s a lot of talent out there on the GOP side to pick from.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 09:55:41 pm »

@ScottinVA

That would almost be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online LMAO

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 10:24:34 pm »

Emotional bonds are not easily broken
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 10:47:17 pm »
If the GOP "base" didn't want Mr. Trump, then why are they still filling his rallies?

How many folks are turning out for Mr. DeSantis' rallies lately?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 10:49:39 pm »
If the GOP "base" didn't want Mr. Trump, then why are they still filling his rallies?

How many fingers am I holding up?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 11:26:43 pm »
@ScottinVA

That would almost be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

We’ll revisit that word “pathetic” after Trump wipes out in 2024.  Deal?

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 11:27:46 pm »
Emotional bonds are not easily broken

No, they certainly aren’t, as evidenced by the comments of the Trumper brigade.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 11:31:46 pm »
There are a few influencers who have admitted as such: "DeSantis has been a great governor, but I'm sticking with Trump out of loyalty and because the Deep State hates him!"

I mean, I don't see any lawful means of breaking that mentality. Every charge against him, even a conviction, would serve as further cementing of their choice.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 02:50:30 am »
There are a few influencers who have admitted as such: "DeSantis has been a great governor, but I'm sticking with Trump out of loyalty and because the Deep State hates him!"

I mean, I don't see any lawful means of breaking that mentality. Every charge against him, even a conviction, would serve as further cementing of their choice.

@jmyrlefuller

So,are you stating you  would celebrate a conviction?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 03:13:52 pm »

Because it takes far, far fewer people to fill rallies than it does to win an election.  Rallies can be one measure of how enthusiastic your supporters are, but no matter how enthusiastic they are, they still only get one vote.  We've seen this before in the Democratic Party, when the hard left candidates like Howard Dean and Bernie Sanders tended to attract more, and more enthusiastic, people to their rallies than did the more mainstream Dem.  But they still usually capped out at around 1/3 of the vote.

Rallies are also a measure of emotion -- how emotionally connected some folks are to their chosen candidate.  But a lot of people aren't really all that emotional about voting period, so they don't go to rallies.  I think the last one I went to was right after I'd just turned 18, and Reagan was running in 1980.  I'm personally not keen on the whole "rally vibe" anyway, so I've never felt inclined to go since.

Online corbe

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 03:25:30 pm »

@Fishrrman

Trump is the mangled mess of a car that everyone slows down to watch while avoiding the debris he left  on the GOP highway, IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:26:39 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 03:26:48 pm »
What fresh faces?

Most other GOP faces are stale, at least the ones in DC.

The only hope comes from GOP governors, present and past.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 03:28:32 pm »
Because it takes far, far fewer people to fill rallies than it does to win an election.  Rallies can be one measure of how enthusiastic your supporters are, but no matter how enthusiastic they are, they still only get one vote.  We've seen this before in the Democratic Party, when the hard left candidates like Howard Dean and Bernie Sanders tended to attract more, and more enthusiastic, people to their rallies than did the more mainstream Dem.  But they still usually capped out at around 1/3 of the vote.

Rallies are also a measure of emotion -- how emotionally connected some folks are to their chosen candidate.  But a lot of people aren't really all that emotional about voting period, so they don't go to rallies.  I think the last one I went to was right after I'd just turned 18, and Reagan was running in 1980.  I'm personally not keen on the whole "rally vibe" anyway, so I've never felt inclined to go since.

:thumbsup:

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 03:29:33 pm »
I think that Chip is on to something.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2023, 03:34:18 pm »

I remember the size of some of Romney's final rallies during the 2012 campaign, and he convinced himself and many others that he was actually going to beat Obama.  Didn't work out that way.

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/10/mitt-drawing-larger-crowds-082348

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/11/romney-closes-out-campaign-with-final-rally-in-new-hampshire

Remember this on Netflix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHxbemvpxY
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:35:33 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2023, 03:35:15 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

So,are you stating you  would celebrate a conviction?
No. As I said, a conviction accomplishes nothing.

Short of him dying, I don't see anything that will.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2023, 03:41:36 pm »
I think that Chip is on to something.

I think he's definitely on to something when it comes to elected Republican officials.  Many may well want someone other than Trump but are afraid of the blowback from his supporters.  But among regular voters...I can't really see the logic of why someone wouldn't just support who they really prefer.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2023, 08:39:58 pm »

@Maj. Bill Martin

So what? Everybody but airhead Dims KNOW the Dim Party is a wholly-owned subsidiary of "One World Government,Inc".

They can afford to let nutcases like Dean and Sanders rant and rave because as a wise leftist (Stalin) is quoted as having said "It doesn't matter who votes. What counts is WHO COUNTS the votes."

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2023, 08:58:34 pm »
So what?

I'm not sure I get your point.  I was simply using other well-known political examples of candidates who could draw more people to rallies, but still wouldn't get as many votes.

Trump's rallies prove that he has a very enthusiastic core of supporters who can fill those rallies.  But it doesn't prove he has enough support to win election again.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2023, 08:59:49 pm »
I'm not sure I get your point.  I was simply using other well-known political examples of candidates who could draw more people to rallies, but still wouldn't get as many votes.

Trump's rallies prove that he has a very enthusiastic core of supporters who can fill those rallies.  But it doesn't prove he has enough support to win election again.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Nor does it prove that he can't,or won't.

Assuming,of course,that the DNC hasn't already printed the winning votes.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2023, 09:13:49 pm »
Trump's rallies are the exact mob politics the Founders wanted to avoid.  Mobs are great for destruction; not so much for construction.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.