Author Topic: Top Democrat tries to school Justice Alito in growing tiff over Supreme Court oversight  (Read 817 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
August 3, 2023 11:29am EDT
Top Democrat tries to school Justice Alito in growing tiff over Supreme Court oversight
Justice Samuel Alito says the Constitution gives no authority to Congress to regulate the Supreme Court
By Brianna Herlihy | Fox News

A top Senate Democrat blasted Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito for expressing his views on a controversial bill to institute a mandatory code of conduct on the nation's highest tribunal.

"Let’s be clear: Justice Alito is not the 101st member of the United States Senate. His intervention in Article I activity is unwise and unwelcome," Senate Judiciary Chairman Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said in a statement Wednesday.

Durbin's comments come as a direct response to Alito, who in a recent Wall Street Journal interview criticized a new bill pushed by Durbin and his Democrat colleagues that would impose new ethics rules on the justices.

"Congress did not create the Supreme Court," Alito told the Journal, adding that the Constitution did.

"I know this is a controversial view, but I’m willing to say it," he said. "No provision in the Constitution gives them the authority to regulate the Supreme Court — period," he added.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/top-democrat-tries-school-justice-alito-growing-tiff-supreme-court-oversight
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Call me silly, but when it comes to understanding the Constitution, I'd probably give Alito the edge over Turban Durbin.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Congress has the power of the purse.

////00000////

It would be a shame if the Justices had to drink instant coffee because Congress didn't appropriate the funds for whole bean coffee.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
IL elects some of the stupidist SOB's known to man.  Durbin, Duckworth, Kinselman, Obama.....
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

If Dick Durbin would like to challenge Marbury v. Madison (1803), he's welcome to try.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Kamaji

Alito is absolutely correct.  As @Maj. Bill Martin has said, the most that a Congressionally enacted code of conduct for the Supreme Court could be was guidance as to what Congress might consider if it were to impeach a sitting Justice, but otherwise, outside of impeachment, such a code of conduct would not have any binding effect, in the sense that a Justice could be forced to comply with it.

The Supreme Court is master of its own discipline in that sense.

Offline berdie

Could be dangerous. Since all branches are equal...could the Judicial branch enact a code of ethics on the Legislature?

Seems more target rich imho.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Alito is absolutely correct.  As @Maj. Bill Martin has said, the most that a Congressionally enacted code of conduct for the Supreme Court could be was guidance as to what Congress might consider if it were to impeach a sitting Justice, but otherwise, outside of impeachment, such a code of conduct would not have any binding effect, in the sense that a Justice could be forced to comply with it.

The Supreme Court is master of its own discipline in that sense.

The weird thing about this is that Durbin, etc., has to know that, so why not just say it?  "We're just putting the Court on notice as to what the Senate may consider to be "good behavior" moving forward.  That way there are no surprises if a Justice engages in conduct that we already have said may be grounds for impeachment."  It's a reasonable point with which Alito would likely agree, at least in principle.

Instead, we get something that misleads more than it enlightens.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:31:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

The weird thing about this is that Durbin, etc., has to know that, so why not just say it?  "We're just putting the Court on notice as to what the Senate may consider to be "good behavior" moving forward.  That way there are no surprises if a Justice engages in conduct that we already have said may be grounds for impeachment."  It's a reasonable point with which Alito would likely agree, at least in principle.

Instead, we get something that misleads more than enlightens.

Agreed.