Author Topic: NYC Considers Central Park Among Sites to House Migrants as Crisis Mounts  (Read 155 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYC Considers Central Park Among Sites to House Migrants as Crisis Mounts

By Laura Nahmias
August 2, 2023 at 2:50 PM EDT

New York City officials are considering housing migrants in Manhattan’s Central Park and Brooklyn’s Prospect Park as part of a plan to find new sites for some of the more than 95,000 asylum seekers who have arrived in the past 15 months.

“Everything is on the table,” Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services Anne Williams-Isom said Wednesday at a press conference when asked about housing migrants in city parks. The sites are among 3,000 locations the city is reviewing, she said.

The news site Gothamist reported on Wednesday that the city is considering erecting tents in the two major parks and on Randall’s Island as possible sites for the asylum seekers, citing unidentified people familiar with the discussions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-02/central-park-among-sites-nyc-is-considering-for-housing-migrants
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 12:03:31 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson