Author Topic: Breakthrough ADHD treatment could ‘transform the lives of children’  (Read 273 times)

Offline Kamaji

Breakthrough ADHD treatment could ‘transform the lives of children’

By Brooke Steinberg
August 2, 2023

A breakthrough in treating attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder could “significantly improve” the lives of children with the condition, experts said.

A new study found that brain stimulation combined with cognitive training can improve symptoms of ADHD.

“ADHD is one of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders affecting children across the world,” Ornella Dakwar-Kawar, a post-doctoral researcher at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, said in a press release.

“Treating the condition with medication improves a child’s attention span and overall mood, however … there can be side effects including headache and a loss of appetite,” Dakwar-Kawar added.

“There is therefore a pressing need for developing and testing novel, non-pharmacological interventions for ADHD.”

ADHD symptoms include trouble paying attention, overactivity and impulsive behaviors, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC estimates that 6 million children in the US ages 3 to 17 have been diagnosed with ADHD. The condition is usually treated with a combination of behavior therapy and medication.

Researchers at the University of Surrey and the Hebrew University conducted a clinical trial with 23 children ages 6 to 12 who were unmedicated.

The researchers administered a non-invasive brain stimulation with a mild electrical current running through two electrodes. Cognitive treatment included problem solving and reading comprehension.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/02/new-adhd-brain-stimulation-treatment-could-transform-lives/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Breakthrough ADHD treatment could ‘transform the lives of children’
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 07:48:02 pm »
We only medicated our son for a very short time, one reason and a big one is that he told us he didn't like it because when he took it he didn't feel like him. Instead of pills we got him into classes that challenged him instead of boring him making him conform to a lower intellectual curriculum, we also did this at home and   :silly: forced him to be active instead of sitting at a gaming console. By middle school he was able to channel his ADHD successfully himself and really excelled once in high school. While medications can be helpful if used as a coping aid(really I think it's used more for teachers and parents to cope) I would never consider them a long term plan.

When I was a kid there were always a number of what they now love to call ADHD or ADD kids, almost always boys, but back then the standard was discipline which include lots of extra physical activity until the student was able to settle and concentrate on the task :shrug: