Author Topic: ‘Confusing At Best’: Retired Colonel Says No One Was In Charge Of Afghanistan Withdrawal  (Read 146 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Confusing At Best’: Retired Colonel Says No One Was In Charge Of Afghanistan Withdrawal

MICAELA BURROW
INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER, DEFENSE
July 27, 2023
1:37 PM ET
FONT SIZE:

A retired Army colonel said Thursday that the lack of a leader directing the military and State Department actions on the ground during the Afghanistan withdrawal created confusion and contributed to the perceived failures that marked the war’s end in 2021.

Republican Rep. Michael McCaul of Texas, at a Foreign Affairs subcommittee hearing on the Afghanistan withdrawal, said the Biden administration had yet answer his request for evidence of an evacuation plan, suggesting that perhaps none existed in the first place. The Biden administration said it accounted for all possible contingencies, but the high-ranking colonels who commanded in Afghanistan testified to Congress that the administration chose an inferior course of action that failed to account for the Taliban’s catapult toward Kabul.

“There’s nobody functionally in charge of our wars on the ground” Retired Col. Christopher Kolenda, a combat leader in Afghanistan who participated in the Doha negotiations with the Taliban, told the panel. (RELATED: Pentagon Did Not Force Family Of Fallen Marine To Foot The Bill For Flight To Arlington Cemetery)

While the President and National Security council made decisions from Washington, the military, State Department and other U.S. organizations worked on the ground without anyone directly negotiating between them, Kolenda said. These “bureaucratic silos” created problems during the evacuation.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/07/27/colonels-afghanistan-evacuation-military-biden/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That just can't be right, Joe says Trump was responsible and Joe wouldn't lie....would he :silly: