Author Topic: On the "hick-libs"  (Read 317 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
On the "hick-libs"
« on: July 31, 2023, 12:24:09 am »

https://twitter.com/HVNYrefugee/status/1685109691259461632

by David Harris
July 28, 2023

Several years ago I was shocked when I heard that a Texas country singer whose music I really enjoyed was a Beto O'Rourke-supporter (Ryan Bingham). For the life of me, I couldn't understand how someone associated with rural West Texas could be on the left.

Over the next few years, a number of country artists (many mainstream) revealed their varying levels of dedication to leftist causes. Some prominent names range from Marren Morris to Sturgill Simpson to more recently Kelsea Ballerini and her drag participants at the CMAs.

The "raw," "real," and "authentic" music of coffee house country is where the social-political goals of Marxist activists really shine the brightest. This stripped-down, folksy, regional, traditional instrumented crooning is seen by its adherents as "the real thing."

Tyler Childers & Jason Isbell are poster children for this hipsteresque/traditionalist country. Both are products of Appalachia and have legitimate connections to much of what they sing about. Unlike corporate country their music often actually features ties to land and history.

(excerpt from a LONG X <f/k/a Twitter> thread)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: On the "hick-libs"
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 12:25:36 am »
The best part is the end.

The good news is that for real, authentic, American/Christian/rural-based music, the demand is currently high. The opportunity to provide excellence as an alternative to both corporate country music and progressive coffee house country has never been more needed and wanted. If you have the skill and drive to strum a guitar and sing the truth about what is, what was, and what ought to be, then today is your day. Put the pen to paper. Sing about the old, sing about the new - write about struggle, joy, heartbreak, and victory - you'll be a rare breed.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024