Author Topic: Violent crime is rising in the nation’s capital. DC seeks solutions as Congress keeps close watch  (Read 193 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Violent crime is rising in the nation’s capital. DC seeks solutions as Congress keeps close watch

The Associated PressThe Associated Press
AP29 Jul 2023517
Veteran law enforcer Pamela Smith is taking over as police chief in the nation’s capital at a precarious time

WASHINGTON (AP) — Pamela Smith’s voice soared and quivered like a preacher in midsermon as she recalled her troubled childhood and how it helped prepare her for the challenges she faces as the new police chief in the nation’s capital.

“I stand before you as a child who had no hopes, who had no dreams — they were far beyond my reach. But I believe that all things are possible,” she said at her introductory news conference in Washington, in cadences honed by years as an ordained Baptist minister. “I believe I bring a fresh perspective, a different kind of energy, a different level of passion to what I’m going to do.”

Smith takes on the job at a precarious time.

Violent crime is rising sharply, fueled by more homicides and carjackings. The District of Columbia’s mayor, Muriel Bowser, and the D.C. Council have, at times, been at odds about crime legislation. On Capitol Hill, the Republican-led House has begun citing the city’s crime statistics while aggressively reviewing local public safety laws.

https://www.breitbart.com/news/violent-crime-is-rising-in-the-nations-capital-dc-seeks-solutions-as-congress-keeps-close-watch/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson