Author Topic: U.S. Hunts Chinese Malware That Could Disrupt American Military Operations  (Read 252 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/29/us/politics/china-malware-us-military-bases-taiwan.html?unlocked_article_code=KsvOuCuGHYo1bXEVl8eCq64vQX8vM7yZOe6GELLRcrqX2r328M9W0VDZdmCfwFO9huGxLRwxYpQn5lUT9ux9pz_humwkOarNMoRg_NofQWGhTm3rXtn1xtRaeZqyr45Mn4DUWNMAhqBx3lA83-VBJdSJzRZ2jLmsoWbt7ZEK6JnsJDbmq0diXM-bQhNYWl6ceSDeMMVlO2YTWr5ifOiWLAk4XK49vCkTGR8M9sVYdm0tVdx6Id33bu7_069-iP7zSTSWt3F2M64DaYZ3A4H0yiTCm3cAGc9raIH6GVX5jBltSIoxmVFjmKfLszajQ2UnESFRMOalzsnA1H00HNa0qAb_fjVmbqjWZYbAsdk1-FAHxH6b&smid=url-share

The Biden administration is hunting for malicious computer code it believes China has hidden deep inside the networks controlling power grids, communications systems and water supplies that feed military bases in the United States and around the world, according to American military, intelligence and national security officials.

The discovery of the malware has raised fears that Chinese hackers, probably working for the People’s Liberation Army, have inserted code designed to disrupt U.S. military operations in the event of a conflict, including if Beijing moves against Taiwan in coming years.

The malware, one congressional official said, was essentially “a ticking time bomb” that could give China the power to interrupt or slow American military deployments or resupply operations by cutting off power, water and communications to U.S. military bases. But its impact could be far broader, because that same infrastructure often supplies the houses and businesses of ordinary Americans, according to U.S. officials.

EXCERPT

I vaguely remember when U.S. officials were assuring us that the ChiComs were not our competitors but our partners, whenever we complained about all our factories, especially in the electronics industry, moving to China.  This is what happens when they take control of the supply chain at the origin of manufacture.  I'm sure that they've got some other unpleasant surprises out there too, like that illegal biolab found in California earlier this year.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Officials found suspected Chinese malware hidden in various US military systems. Its intended use is disruption rather than surveillance, a 'disturbing' change in intent, experts say

Story by insider@insider.com (Sebastian Cahill,Katie Hawkinson ) • Yesterday 8:10 PM

Suspected Chinese malware has been identified in several US military systems.

Unlike other surveillance malware from China, this malware seems intended to disrupt operations.

The malware could also have the ability to disrupt normal civilian life or businesses.

US officials found suspected Chinese malware across several military systems — and unlike previous attacks, experts say the intent is likely to disrupt rather than to surveil, The New York Times reports.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/officials-found-suspected-chinese-malware-hidden-in-various-us-military-systems-its-intended-use-is-disruption-rather-than-surveillance-a-disturbing-change-in-intent-experts-say/ar-AA1eyYVS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4e5972a958574719a505d3bb45027f75&ei=24
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji