Author Topic: The Next Frontier for Warfighters Might Be Implants in Their Brains. Is the Pentagon Ready for the C  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Next Frontier for Warfighters Might Be Implants in Their Brains. Is the Pentagon Ready for the Consequences?

Thomas Novelly, Zachary Fryer-Biggs
Fri, July 28, 2023 at 1:00 PM EDT·20 min read
In this article:

Geoffrey Ling
Medical doctor
The boy couldn't have been older than six or seven. Brown hair with a streak of bright orange. It was 2003, and Geoffrey Ling, a young Army doctor, was looking down at a new patient who'd arrived at his medical unit in Afghanistan missing a hand.

The Soviet Union during its long and ultimately losing campaign to quell the restive corners of the country had taken to dropping thousands of land mines out of the back of helicopters. Like little butterflies, the mines would twist and flit to the ground, a bright green that would fade to gray with time.

Almost daily, Ling would stare down at a child who had answered the siren call of the toy-like miniature bombs. A boom, a lost appendage, and they'd find their way to Ling, who'd be tasked with patching them up for a life where the best prosthesis still relied on hooks and pulleys.

https://news.yahoo.com/next-frontier-warfighters-might-implants-170026884.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson