Author Topic: Sen. Vance bill would require some immigrants to deposit up to $15K to prevent overstay  (Read 147 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS Published July 27, 2023 9:01am EDT
Sen. Vance bill would require some immigrants to deposit up to $15K to prevent overstay
Ohio senator's bill aims to address the hundreds of thousands of visa overstays that take place each year
Adam Shaw By Adam Shaw | Fox News

FIRST ON FOX: Sen. JD Vance, R-Ohio is introducing legislation Thursday that would require immigrants with temporary visas to pay thousands of dollars before entering the U.S. – as part of the effort to crack down on visa overstays

The Timely Departure Act would require some foreign nationals seeking admission to the U.S. on a temporary visa to pay between $5,000 and $15,000 in a bond or cash payment. That money would then be returned to them when they leave the U.S. in accordance with the terms of the visa, or transfer to a green card.

If they overstayed, however, that money would be retained by the Department of Homeland Security, and it would be diverted into an account – the ‘Immigration Detention and Enforcement Account" – to fund the detention and removal of those in the country illegally.

The bill would also bar visa overstays from making a defensive asylum claim after their visas have expired.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-vance-bill-would-require-immigrants-deposit-15k-prevent-overstay
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson