Author Topic: Mysterious illness triggered by tick bite could affect thousands  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Kamaji

Mysterious illness triggered by tick bite could affect thousands — but many doctors are unaware of it

By Melissa Rudy, Fox News
July 28, 2023

A little-known, life-threatening food allergy that is triggered by a tick bite could be affecting hundreds of thousands of people in the US, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warned in its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on Thursday.

The condition is called Alpha-Gal Syndrome (AGS) — also known as the “red-meat allergy” or the “tick bite meat allergy.” It begins with a bite from the Lone Star tick, found primarily in Southeastern and Eastern states.

The tick’s saliva contains a sugar molecule called alpha-gal, which is injected into the body with the bite.

This triggers allergies to certain types of red meat(primarily pork, beef, rabbit, lamb or venison) or products made from mammals (including cheese, milk, other dairy products and gelatin).

When people eat any foods containing the allergens, they can experience serious allergy symptoms within a few hours.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/28/mystery-illness-from-tick-bites-leads-to-rare-red-meat-allergy/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Mysterious illness triggered by tick bite could affect thousands
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 12:19:09 pm »
I don't trust the CDC.  The inflate numbers. Scare people. And create panic.

Screw them and the WHO.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 12:52:07 pm »
I don't trust the CDC.  The inflate numbers. Scare people. And create panic. Screw them and the WHO.
Yeah, they cried wolf one too many times already. It's hard to trust them on anything, even when they quite possibly are telling the truth.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 01:10:02 pm »
I read some of the comments on the news report. I agree, it’s a good way to scare the masses into not eating meat. Goodie, goodie. We can ALL become vegans and save the planet.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 01:29:42 pm »
I read some of the comments on the news report. I agree, it’s a good way to scare the masses into not eating meat. Goodie, goodie. We can ALL become vegans and save the planet.

Nope, steaks on the grill, roast beef, chicken and pork. Freezers are pretty much full.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 01:34:19 pm »

Screw them and the WHO.

:yowsa: Right there with you on that @Wingnut
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 02:41:23 pm »
It's a Big Bogey Pharma bio-weapon.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 04:25:25 pm »
The more idiots there are afraid to eat beef and pork only means there's more for me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 04:33:52 pm »

I'd have to just shoot myself...

Online LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 06:04:27 pm »
I read about this many years ago, it's nothing new. That being said, I have yet to know anyone with this affliction and it isn't anything on my radar screen to be concerned about.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 06:20:15 pm »
I protect against tick bites because Lyme disease is awful. Meat allergy really isn't on my radar.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 06:25:45 pm »
I am curious as to whether you people in the south have tick season? Here in Idaho we mostly see ticks in the spring for a couple of months.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2023, 06:25:53 pm »
It kinda makes me wonder what lab these 'escaped' from...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2023, 06:26:41 pm »
That's what we need: genetically-altered mutant ticks.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023, 06:27:57 pm »
I protect against tick bites because Lyme disease is awful. Meat allergy really isn't on my radar.

Pants, always... gaiters always... and pyrethrin on the gaiters (and ground sheet)... Cheap insurance in the mountains  happy77 :beer:

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2023, 06:28:46 pm »
I've heard about this a few years ago.  Becoming allergic to beef is one of my worst nightmares.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2023, 06:30:22 pm »
I am curious as to whether you people in the south have tick season? Here in Idaho we mostly see ticks in the spring for a couple of months.

yeah, just before the black flies.... :laugh:

ticks are in the woods, always.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2023, 06:31:06 pm »

that ain't  just funning.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2023, 06:35:07 pm »
that ain't  just funning.
No, it isn't.. Genetically altered mosquitoes, supposedly to reduce the mosquito populations, have already been released. Growing a batch of ticks altered to do this shouldn't be all that hard, and there are enough 'troo blievers' in the ranks of extremists out there to distribute such a thing. They'd consider themselves valiant liberators fighting for (whatever) like the ones who set lab animals free, not the terrorists they are. Burn off the dry tall grass...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2023, 06:42:29 pm »
No, it isn't.. Genetically altered mosquitoes, supposedly to reduce the mosquito populations, have already been released. Growing a batch of ticks altered to do this shouldn't be all that hard, and there are enough 'troo blievers' in the ranks of extremists out there to distribute such a thing. They'd consider themselves valiant liberators fighting for (whatever) like the ones who set lab animals free, not the terrorists they are. Burn off the dry tall grass...

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever appeared out of nowhere - no native remedy.
Same with Lyme.

I wouldn't put it past em.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2023, 06:54:14 pm »
The tick and the disease have been detected in Rhode Island in southeastern Mass this Summer.

Some locals use chickens to control ticks during the Summer.

Allegedly, back in days of yore, ground fowl kept the tick population under control.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online LadyLiberty

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2023, 07:04:47 pm »
Possums are big tick eaters also.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2023, 08:46:30 pm »
The tick and the disease have been detected in Rhode Island in southeastern Mass this Summer.

Some locals use chickens to control ticks during the Summer.

Allegedly, back in days of yore, ground fowl kept the tick population under control.

True story. Guinea hens more than chickens... but chickens too. Most farms up here have expendable guinea flocks for that purpose.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2023, 09:10:27 pm »

Screw them and the WHO.

Scare folks into eating less red meat just because.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2023, 09:39:26 pm »
True story. Guinea hens more than chickens... but chickens too. Most farms up here have expendable guinea flocks for that purpose.

Same here (rural East Texas). The guineas also happen to be the best burglar alarms to ever come down the pike.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien