Author Topic: An under-charged report that failed to drive home the real problem with electric cars  (Read 411 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

An under-charged report that failed to drive home the real problem with electric cars
Story by Anita Singh • Tuesday

From 2030, you will be unable to buy a new petrol or diesel car. The future is electric, or so we’re told. But the problems with electric cars are well-documented. They’re pricier than ordinary cars, and the experience of charging them up on a long journey can range from mildly inconvenient to tear-your-hair-out infuriating.

Electric Cars: What They Really Mean For You was an attempt to spell out the pros and cons – part science show, part consumer programme. It was patchy. We began with Justin Rowlatt, the BBC’s climate editor, meeting a chap called Richard Morgan – Moggy to his friends – who has a business converting classic cars by fitting electric motors. Which sounded great, but when Rowlatt claimed that this was “one of the most promising green tech projects in Britain” and “here could lie the future of the car”, what exactly did he mean? How much do these conversions cost? What does it have to do with those of us who haven’t got an Aston Martin and very deep pockets? We were never told.

Then Rowlatt met Chris Stark, CEO of the Climate Change Committee. This was set up by the government to offer independent, expert advice on its net zero climate goals, Rowlatt explained, but was also instrumental in getting the government to adopt those goals in the first place. Stark had nothing of note to say, except that he was confident about electric cars becoming a mass market product soon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/an-under-charged-report-that-failed-to-drive-home-the-real-problem-with-electric-cars/ar-AA1elqQj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fa8e6b2aa95b4f6694a019414905b5ec&ei=22
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson