Author Topic: Fresh humiliation for Putin as he faces poor turnout by African leaders at key Russian summit  (Read 289 times)

Offline Kamaji

Fresh humiliation for Putin as he faces poor turnout by African leaders at key Russian summit - days after he quit Ukraine grain deal and bombed Black Sea ports

17 heads of state will take part, fewer than half of the 43 who attended in 2019

By JAMES CALLERY
26 July 2023

A poor turnout by African leaders at a key Russian summit will heap fresh humiliation on President Putin.

Some African leaders arrived in Russia today for Moscow's second Russia-Africa summit while the Kremlin accused the US and other Western powers of 'outrageous' efforts to pressure many other heads of states from attending.

Set for Thursday and Friday in Saint Petersburg, only 17 heads of state will take part, fewer than half of the 43 who attended the first in 2019, while 32 other African countries will be represented by senior government officials or ambassadors.

The event comes after Russia destroyed Ukrainian grain warehouses on the Danube River in a drone attack on Monday, targeting a vital export route for Kyiv in an expanding air campaign that Moscow began last week after quitting the Black Sea grain deal.

The presidents of Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo are among those not attending the summit. 

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12341237/Fresh-humiliation-Putin-faces-poor-turnout-African-leaders-key-Russian-summit-days-quit-Ukraine-grain-deal-bombed-Black-Sea-ports.html

Offline Kamaji

His criticisms would be more accurately aimed at the Chinese, who have made serious deals with a bunch of African countries, and who are therefore much more in the position to influence whether the leaders of these countries attend a meeting such as this.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Putin takes actions to aggrevate starvation in Africa, and he's suprised how few African leaders showed.

If I'm Africa, I put my lot in with India and China.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.