Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Asylum Seekers Allege Discrimination in Shelters  (Read 160 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
LGBTQ+ Asylum Seekers Allege Discrimination in Shelters
« on: July 26, 2023, 01:20:52 pm »
LGBTQ+ Asylum Seekers Allege Discrimination in Shelters
Unable to find support in NYC run shelters, LGBTQ+ migrants say that lack of safe space for their community has impacted their mental health.
ROMMEL H. OJEDA
AND LUCÍA CHOLAKIAN HERRERA
AND ROSARIO MARINA
JUL 26, 2023

On May 24th around noon, César P., an asylum seeker from Guatemala residing at the Flushing YMCA in Queens, was making his way to the restroom when he heard someone following him. That person, ​​the 34-year-old claims, struck him multiple times. He believed the motive behind the attack was because he is gay. He notified the staff at the shelter and the police were called, but there was no incident recorded according to the NYPD.

On another occasion, a resident in the shelter made an unwanted sexual advance when he was in his room at the hotel, he said. “I’m traumatized, life has been very cruel,” César said, explaining the staff at the shelter did nothing when he reported both incidents. Per New York State law, the Department of Homeless Services, the agency that oversees the shelter César was staying at, cannot disclose specifics about client’s cases.

Since last year, Documented has heard from several LGBTQ+ migrants living in city-run shelters who said the facilities lack resources for their community, including assistance for those who face discrimination. They also said the situation has compounded the trauma of their journey to the U.S. and impacted their mental health. Many have sought assistance from outside organizations, while also looking for alternative forms of housing.

https://documentedny.com/2023/07/26/lgbtq-asylum-seekers-discrimination-shelters/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: LGBTQ+ Asylum Seekers Allege Discrimination in Shelters
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 01:24:22 pm »
I learned early on in the military if I were in a place where I was unwelcome, both overseas and the US (San Fransicko in particular) to keep my damn mouth shut and keep a low profile.  Now these types expect nations to change for them, not the other way around.  To hell with them. :bullie pirate:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson