Author Topic: Fishermen, activists protest offshore wind farms near Montauk, cite recent whale deaths  (Read 439 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Fishermen, activists protest offshore wind farms near Montauk, cite recent whale deaths
By Josh Christenson
July 24, 2023 8:41pm  Updated

The winds of change are blowing.

Conservative activists, environmentalists and New Jersey fishermen protested the construction of wind turbines off the East Coast on Monday, highlighting increasing whale deaths in the region that they say are tied to offshore renewable energy.

The coalition, organized by the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow, sent out three boats to South Fork Wind Farm, roughly 20 miles from both Martha’s Vineyard and Montauk, NY, holding signs that read “STOP WINDMILLS SAVE WHALES” while shouting through a bullhorn at machinery operators to halt construction.

“Since offshore wind operations began in 2016, there is a disturbing number of whales washing up dead on beaches along the Eastern shores, and it is shocking to see how quickly utilities are willing to rush to construct them,” the group’s president, Craig Rucker, told The Post in a statement. “Their motto is almost like, ‘Damn the Whales, full steam ahead.’”

“In addition, these wind farms could wreak havoc on fishermen and their industry by disrupting the ecosystem from which they derive their livelihood,” he said. “We’re calling attention to all this by going on-site to the location of these destructive monstrosities and urging the operators to cease and desist in their reckless mission to deface our Eastern shores.”

https://nypost.com/2023/07/24/fishermen-activists-protest-offshore-wind-farms-near-montauk/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 10:28:50 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
They're willing to let the earth burn up just to save some slimy whales?  I wonder what St. Greta thinks of this? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson