Author Topic: Jeff Bezos’ Satellite Project: Amazon Announces Major Update Ahead of Earnings  (Read 570 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Observer by Sissi Cao  07/24/23

Project Kuiper expects to launch two prototype satellites ('KuiperSat-1' and 'KuiperSat-2') in the fourth quarter of 2023.

More than four years after Jeff Bezos announced Amazon (AMZN)’s Project Kuiper, a satellite-based internet service meant to compete with SpaceX’s Starlink, Amazon is finally taking a major step closer to launching its first satellites. The e-commerce giant said on July 21 it plans to spend $120 million on building a facility at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida for processing and launching more than 3,200 Kuiper satellites as soon as next year. The facility, spanning 31,000 square meters, will be a spaceport used to prepare and integrate Kuiper satellites with Amazon’s many launch partners, including Bezos’s Blue Origin.

Amazon obtained a license from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) back in July 2020 to deploy up to 3,236 satellites in low Earth orbit, but hasn’t launched any. Under the FCC’s rules, Amazon needs to launch and operate half the constellation, or 1618 satellites, by July 2026 and the other half by July 2029. Those deadlines allow Amazon little time to get the Florida facility ready. The current construction timeline suggests the site won’t be operational until 2025. Amazon aims to begin a small-scale customer program, which will require more than 500 working satellites, before the end of 2024, and it may use a third-party launch site until the Florida spaceport is ready for use, a company spokesperson told SpacesNews.

Amazon manufactures Kuiper satellites at a factory in Kirkland, Wash. near the company’s Seattle headquarters. Kuiper expects to launch its first two prototype satellites—“KuiperSat-1” and “KuiperSat-2”—in the fourth quarter of this year.

More: https://observer.com/2023/07/amazon-kuiper-satellite/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

What are the chances the service will try to steer users to buy goods or services from Amazon?

These Kleptocratic Internet Billionaires want to build eco-systems around captive users.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:05:05 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
What are the chances Bezo's actually get a working rocket of his own to deploy his sattelites? Last I heard his rockets are for shit and he has to pay others, including Musk to put his sattelites into orbit, that's gotta leave a mark :silly: having to pay your competitor to boost your sattelites into orbit.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
What are the chances Bezo's actually get a working rocket of his own to deploy his sattelites? Last I heard his rockets are for shit and he has to pay others, including Musk to put his sattelites into orbit, that's gotta leave a mark :silly: having to pay your competitor to boost your sattelites into orbit.

Yes, his rockets are for shit. But no, he hasn't ever gone to Musk to ask for SpaceX to launch his satellites.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Yes, his rockets are for shit. But no, he hasn't ever gone to Musk to ask for SpaceX to launch his satellites.
I was pretty sure I read that because his window to have launched enough sattelites to keep his license? was going to be difficult(at least) without his own dependebla rockets 1 day ago — Under the FCC's rules, Amazon needs to launch and operate half the constellation, or 1618 satellites, by July 2026 and the other half by July ... https://observer.com/2023/07/amazon-kuiper-satellite/, Bezos was even in talks with Musk.

Bezos has to have 1618 sattelites in orbit in three years, 540 sattelites a year when you don't have your own working delivery system, I would think lead you to discusions with anyone who could help you achieve it, I guess I have misread something about Musk and Bezos but will see as bezos's deadline gets closer.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I was pretty sure I read that because his window to have launched enough sattelites to keep his license? was going to be difficult(at least) without his own dependebla rockets 1 day ago — Under the FCC's rules, Amazon needs to launch and operate half the constellation, or 1618 satellites, by July 2026 and the other half by July ... https://observer.com/2023/07/amazon-kuiper-satellite/, Bezos was even in talks with Musk.

Bezos has to have 1618 sattelites in orbit in three years, 540 sattelites a year when you don't have your own working delivery system, I would think lead you to discusions with anyone who could help you achieve it, I guess I have misread something about Musk and Bezos but will see as bezos's deadline gets closer.

Amazon has hired every major rocket company except SpaceX.

I haven't ever seen it in the press saying that Bezos asked Musk to launch any of his satellites.  I cannot see that Bezos will be able to launch the required number of satellites on time.