Author Topic: Here's How Mitt Romney Is Looking to Get Involved in the 2024 Presidential Election  (Read 302 times)

Offline Kamaji

Here's How Mitt Romney Is Looking to Get Involved in the 2024 Presidential Election

Rebecca Downs
July 24, 2023

It is no secret that Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) isn't a fan of former and potentially future President Donald Trump. Now, he's calling on donors to help narrow the playing field so as to stop Trump from earning the nomination through winner-take-all primary contests. On Monday, The Wall Street Journal published his op-ed, "Donors, Don’t Fund a Trump Plurality."

As Romney himself acknowledges, Trump's currently enjoying an "apparent inevitability." RealClearPolitics (RCP) shows him with a spread in the Republican primary of +33.3. But, as Romney goes on to mention, another candidate might have a chance of becoming the nominee "if the field narrows to a two-person race before Mr. Trump has the nomination sewn up." That's going to require learning the lesson not learned in time for 2016 though.

"For that to happen, Republican megadonors and influencers—large and small—are going to have to do something they didn’t do in 2016: get candidates they support to agree to withdraw if and when their paths to the nomination are effectively closed," Romney continues his opening paragraph with, urging that decision to be made by February 26, after the early state contests of Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina. Romney even later writes that "[d]onors who are backing someone with a slim chance of winning should seek a commitment from the candidate to drop out and endorse the person with the best chance of defeating Mr. Trump by Feb. 26."

Before Trump ultimately clinched the nomination for 2016, he ran in a crowded primary then too. Among the last to drop out included Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and then Gov. John Kasich (R-OH).

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/rebeccadowns/2023/07/24/heres-how-mitt-romney-is-looking-to-get-involved-in-the-2024-presidential-election-n2626137

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Some people just don't know when to quit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
:facepalm2:

Some people just don't know when to quit.

@Kamaji

When there is money and power to be made,there is no quitting for the greedy  and the ambitious.

Mittens inherited wealth and political power,and is mad because he  can't be President.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

Shoo, Mitt
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Willard, you are one of those megadonors.  Spend your own damn money to advance your own damn political cause, you cheap milk drinkin' bastid.

I'm tired of rich people panhandling me for donations.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 03:42:28 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The best thing he could do is throw all his weight and support behind Trump. Why? To take away his talking points.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Kamaji

The best thing he could do is throw all his weight and support behind Trump. Why? To take away his talking points.

:silly: