Author Topic: India's rice export ban triggers panic buying at US supermarkets  (Read 333 times)

Online Kamaji

India's rice export ban triggers panic buying at US supermarkets - sparking costs of 20-pound bag to soar from $16 to almost $50

India ordered a halt to its largest rice export to calm domestic prices

Videos and reports shared on social media show shoppers panic-buying in Texas, Michigan, New Jersey, Alabama, Ohio, Illinois and California

The south Asian country accounts for 40 percent of world rice exports

By GERMANIA RODRIGUEZ POLEO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
24 July 2023

India's rice export ban has triggered panic buying at US supermarkets, causing the price of a 20-pound bag to surge from $16 to almost $50 in some stores.

The south Asian country, which accounts for 40 percent of world rice exports, ordered a halt to its largest rice export category, non-basmati rice, on Thursday to calm domestic prices, sparking fears of global shortages.

Videos and reports shared on social media over the weekend show Indian-Americans standing in long lines or panic-buying rice in Texas, Michigan, New Jersey Alabama, Ohio, Illinois and California.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12331565/Indias-rice-export-ban-triggers-panic-buying-supermarkets-sparking-costs-20-pound-bag-soar-16-50.html

Online Kamaji

Re: India's rice export ban triggers panic buying at US supermarkets
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 12:40:08 pm »
I'll have to check out the rice section in my local grocery store the next time I'm there.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: India's rice export ban triggers panic buying at US supermarkets
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 12:45:38 pm »
Take the rice. Leave the toilet paper.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.