Author Topic: Newly-elected Jacksonville mayor sets aside $500K to remove Confederate statue  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Kamaji

Newly-elected Jacksonville mayor sets aside $500K to remove Confederate statue

By Selim Algar
July 24, 2023

The newly-elected mayor of Jacksonville has allocated $500,000 in the Florida city’s budget to remove a monument dedicated to women who lost loved ones serving in the Confederate army.

Donna Deegan — a progressive Democrat who toppled her Republican opponent in Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ backyard — had pledged to topple the monument and lined up the dollars to do so.

“We are looking at all potential options and Mayor Deegan remains committed to removing the Springfield Park monument,” her spokesperson, Philip Perry, tweeted.

Erected in 1915, the monument is one of the last Confederate memorials remaining in Jacksonville, the nation’s largest city in terms of contiguous land mass.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/24/new-democrat-florida-mayor-to-resume-citys-confederate-statue-fight/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Mayor, your city is named after Andrew Jackson ... a hetero-sexual white Christian male of Western European descent who fought Native Americans.  A statue dedicated to war widows is the least of your woke snowflake problems.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 06:43:54 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Why so expensive to remove a statue?

Online mountaineer

Probably have to contract with a female- and minority-owned company to do the deed, but only after completing an environmental impact statement.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Jax local news puts it a more like 1.3 million to remove.  But remember we can spare no expense to remove the stain of slavery from the whiteman and history.

It will be like it never happened.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

Once again, I say move it here. I have room for it, even though I know nothing about the story behind it.

Online mountaineer

Question for Floridians: what the heck is this all about?

I've been contemplating a little vacation to the Jacksonville area. Searching for historical sites to visit, I came across Camp Milton. Woo hoo, thought I - Mr. M and I love visiting Civil War sites whenever possible. But this is what I found:
Camp Milton Historic Preserve in the western edge of Jacksonville, Florida, preserves the remains of one of the most important Civil War sites in Florida. Interpretive panels told the story of the archaeology of the site, the construction of the fortifications there, the first combat in Florida by black Union soldiers, and more, but the mayor of Jacksonville has ordered their immediate removal.

And this:
Editor's Note: The Mayor of Jacksonville has directed the removal of the modern, unbiased interpretive panels from Camp Milton Historic Preserve. As a result we have removed all photographs of this location from our page.

Is the the handiwork of the new communist Democrat mayor? Apparently, this *itch is removing Confederate history left and right. Now she's ordered the removal of educational placards (interpretive panels) at an historical site because they dare mention the CSA? It's a Civil War site, so it's next to impossible to describe what happened there without mentioning "the other side." How, exactly, does one study the Civil War without information about both sides?

Is it any wonder I wonder if we're in Bizarro World?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 08:49:52 pm by mountaineer »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Is Nikki Haley going to help man and run the wrecking ball?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Online mountaineer

On top of the NPS planning to remove the William Penn statue from a park in ... wait for it ... PENNsylvania, I'm about to stroke out.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
500 Grand?????

Who is she hiring,her brother?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

Question for Floridians: what the heck is this all about?

I've been contemplating a little vacation to the Jacksonville area. Searching for historical sites to visit, I came across Camp Milton. Woo hoo, thought I - Mr. M and I love visiting Civil War sites whenever possible. But this is what I found:
And this:
Is the the handiwork of the new communist Democrat mayor? Apparently, this *itch is removing Confederate history left and right. Now she's ordered the removal of educational placards (interpretive panels) at an historical site because they dare mention the CSA? It's a Civil War site, so it's next to impossible to describe what happened there without mentioning "the other side." How, exactly, does one study the Civil War without information about both sides?

Is it any wonder I wonder if we're in Bizarro World?

First I have heard of this -- it hasn't made the local news.

We live in a society where the liberals are bent on removing any historical monuments, or evidence of American history and also rewriting the history books that our children are learning from.  This is happening all around the country.

I am surprised though that DeSantis hasn't intervened....

Once our generation passes, I am convinced that there will be very little record of actual American history as you and I know it to be.

As I have stated several times -- one of the GOP's biggest mistakes (of many) was not fighting to undo the liberal indoctrination of our youth through the public school system.  It's been done for decades now and the result is the bizarro society that we are now living in.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 11:17:49 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.