Author Topic: What the IPCC Actually Says About Extreme Weather  (Read 284 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What the IPCC Actually Says About Extreme Weather
« on: July 24, 2023, 09:52:38 am »
What the IPCC Actually Says About Extreme Weather
I promise, you'll be utterly shocked

ROGER PIELKE JR.
JUL 19, 2023

People are going absolutely nuts these days about extreme weather. Every event, any where is now readily associated with climate change and a portent of a climate out of control, apocalyptic even. I’ve long given up hope that the actual science of climate and extreme weather will be fairly reported or discussed in policy — nowadays, climate change is just too seductive and politically expedient.

But for those who want to know what research actually says on the relationship of extreme weather and climate change, that information is readily available. Today I’ll share the excellent work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) summarizing what its most recent assessment says about various types of extreme weather and climate change.

When you read the below you will realize that the difference between what you see in the news (including statements from leading scientists) and what the IPCC has concluded could not be more different. One day PhD dissertations will be written about our current moment of apocalyptic panic.

Identifying the signal of human caused climate change according to the IPCC, refers to detecting and attributing a change in the statistics of a particular climate or weather variable.

The IPCC further defines the emergence of a signal of climate change :

https://rogerpielkejr.substack.com/p/what-the-ipcc-actually-says-about
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson