Author Topic: Law professors urge Biden to defy 'mistaken' rulings by 'MAGA' Supreme Court justices  (Read 794 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
July 23, 2023 7:30pm EDT
Law professors urge Biden to defy 'mistaken' rulings by 'MAGA' Supreme Court justices
President Biden has previously claimed that the Supreme Court is 'not a normal court' following recent rulings
By Lindsay Kornick | Fox News

President Biden should find ways to defy the rulings of "MAGA justices" for their "gravely mistaken" constitutional interpretations, law professors urged in a letter on Wednesday. 

Harvard law professor Mark Tushnet and San Francisco State University political scientist Aaron Belkin penned "An Open Letter to the Biden Administration on Popular Constitutionalism" to respond to what Biden has called "not a normal court" following high-profile cases.

"We urge President Biden to restrain MAGA justices immediately by announcing that if and when they issue rulings that are based on gravely mistaken interpretations of the Constitution that undermine our most fundamental commitments, the Administration will be guided by its own constitutional
interpretations," they wrote.

The letter continued, "We have worked diligently over the past five years to advocate Supreme Court expansion as a necessary strategy for restoring democracy. Although we continue to support expansion, the threat that MAGA justices pose is so extreme that reforms that do not require Congressional approval are needed at this time, and advocates and experts should encourage President Biden to take immediate action to limit the damage."

Tushnet and Belkin cited a solution known as "popular constitutionalism" claiming "that courts do not exercise exclusive authority over constitutional meaning." They theorized that Biden could explain how the Supreme Court’s decisions are "egregiously wrong" and offer an alternative constitutional interpretation, particular if the ruling poses a "grave threat."

"In this particular historical moment, MAGA justices pose a grave threat to our most fundamental commitments because they rule consistently to undermine democracy and to curtail fundamental rights, and because many of their rulings are based on misleading and untrue claims," they warned.

George Washington University law professor and legal expert Jonathan Turley penned an op-ed for The Hill on Saturday that warned about this interpretation of the constitution.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/media/law-professors-urge-biden-defy-mistaken-rulings-maga-supreme-court-justices

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I love it when the left gets so desperate their stupidity and desperation shine like a spotlight.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sounds like coup talk to me.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

From the article...

"We urge President Biden to restrain MAGA justices immediately by announcing that if and when they issue rulings that are based on gravely mistaken interpretations of the Constitution that undermine our most fundamental commitments, the Administration will be guided by its own constitutional

This would start a very bad precedent. And what would their reaction be if Trump were to win the election and tried this?

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

From the article...

This would start a very bad precedent. And what would their reaction be if Trump were to win the election and tried this?

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 12:28:20 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!