Author Topic: TSMC Delays Arizona Factory Opening Due to Insufficient Skilled Local Talent  (Read 1658 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Epoch Times By Bryan Jung 7/22/2023

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC), the world’s largest chipmaker, will delay production at its new Arizona chip plant to 2025 due to a shortage of skilled labor.

The year-long delay comes as trade relations between Washington and Beijing, have deteriorated over the past several years.

TSMC Chairman Mark Liu broke the news to investors on a second-quarter earnings call on July 21.

Mr. Liu said that the company does not have enough skilled local workers to install advanced equipment at its new facility, in time for the official deadline.

TSMC first proposed plans to build the facility in Arizona in 2020, when former President Donald Trump was in office.

The Taiwanese company said last fall, that it would begin making its new 5-nanometer chips at the Arizona facility by 2024,

Mr. Liu had hoped that the first of TSMC’s two semiconductor production facilities at the Arizona plant would be operational by 2024, with the second coming online by 2026.

TSMC is the primary manufacturer of chips for Apple’s iPhones and its CEO Tim Cook has plans to buy computer chips from the plant.

Apple’s next processor for the iPhone is allegedly based on the company’s 3-nanometer process technology.

The American phone maker typically releases its latest iPhone in September and is likely ordering chips from TSMC in the third quarter.

More: https://www.theepochtimes.com/article/tsmc-delays-arizona-factory-opening-due-to-insufficient-skilled-local-talent-5415075

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Don't look at me, I left Phoenix.  The Big Bird is burnt out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

Lack of skilled labor seems to be the flavor of the day; that seems to be an issue for other companies as well.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The year-long delay comes as trade relations between Washington and Beijing, have deteriorated over the past several years.

@Elderberry

WTH does Beijing have to say and do about  what the US and Taiwan do?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

Lack of skilled labor seems to be the flavor of the day; that seems to be an issue for other companies as well.

Decades of dumbing down education, career-free ______ Studies degrees, dismissing tradespeople as ignoramuses, and denigrating engineering grads as nerds are having predictable consequences.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 09:03:32 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline PeteS in CA

@Elderberry

WTH does Beijing have to say and do about  what the US and Taiwan do?

Shifting IC production out of China means building capacity elsewhere. In this case, it is a Taiwanese company that is shifting production from China and to the US. The shift requires skilled people to build and equip the new facility and skilled people to operate it.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
TSMC -- isn't that a Taiwan-owned company?

They ought to bring in employees from their factories in Taiwan to get the USA plant up-and-running. Might be a good time for a lot of folks who have the ability to do so, to get outta Taiwan while the gettin's good...

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Decades of dumbing down education, career-free ______ Studies degrees, dismissing tradespeople as ignoramuses, and denigrating engineering grads as nerds are having predictable consequences.

:yowsa: Excellent observation! I agree 100%.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Shifting IC production out of China means building capacity elsewhere. In this case, it is a Taiwanese company that is shifting production from China and to the US. The shift requires skilled people to build and equip the new facility and skilled people to operate it.

@PeteS in CA

Seriously?

When did Taiwan and China stop being bitter enemies?

BTW,I am NOT doubting your statement,I am asking  a question.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

They ought to bring in employees from their factories in Taiwan to get the USA plant up-and-running. Might be a good time for a lot of folks who have the ability to do so, to get outta Taiwan while the gettin's good...

@Fishrrman

I am in total agreement with the first sentence,not so  much  with  the second one. Let the Tai's remain in Thailand. Thailand needs all the  skilled help it can get to survive.

Yeah,I can go along with shipping technicians and engineers here to set things up and get production rolling,but  after that they need  to go back home.

Offline PeteS in CA

@PeteS in CA

Seriously?

When did Taiwan and China stop being bitter enemies?

BTW,I am NOT doubting your statement,I am asking  a question.

I'm too low down any leadership feeding chain to be in on the workings of such deals, but quite a few Taiwanese companies have manufacturing done in China. In my line of specialty, Delta Electronics, Acbel Polytech, and Lite On do high-volume, low-cost, production of computer power supplies in China.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm too low down any leadership feeding chain to be in on the workings of such deals, but quite a few Taiwanese companies have manufacturing done in China. In my line of specialty, Delta Electronics, Acbel Polytech, and Lite On do high-volume, low-cost, production of computer power supplies in China.

@PeteS in CA

That may be wonderful for the stockholders in America,but NOT so  wonderful for the working classes OR our tax base.

America has GOT to start adding some sort of excise tax on goods produced under contract to  American manufactures  in foreign manufacturing plants.

If we don't,we will become bankrupt.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I don't care how Taiwan gets it done here, it just needs to get done here NOW.

If China manages to acquire their chip making capacity, they own us. We will be their vassal state. S. Korea, Japan, US, and everyone else who makes chips won't be able to supply the demand.

It's scary that in just 25 years we've went from mostly solid state to IC controlled everything. An inability to get needed chips would eventually grind everything to a halt.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

Very good point @Fishrrman
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

I wonder how many moles the ChiComs have embedded in that company?

Online Hoodat

Correctamundo.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, if they hadn't all run off to college and got their advanced degrees in social justice and gender studies, maybe they'd have marketable skills.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis