Author Topic: Your electric car is nowhere near as green as you think: Here are the hidden eco-pitfalls of the Net  (Read 577 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Your electric car is nowhere near as green as you think: Here are the hidden eco-pitfalls of the NetZero cause's pin-up
Read more: The environmental benefit of electric cars may never be felt
By ROSS CLARK

UPDATED: 01:25 EDT, 20 July 2023

It's the pin-up of the Net Zero cause, set to decarbonise personal transportation and speed us all into a glorious green future.

Indeed, under current Government plans, electric will be the only kind of new car we will be allowed to buy after 2035. And even before that, in 2030, the sale of purely petrol or diesel cars will be banned, with hybrids the only fuel-driven option available.

Just this week, Rishi Sunak announced that Tata Motors — which owns Jaguar Land Rover — will invest £4 billion in a new electric car battery factory in Somerset in order to power the incoming fleet of e-vehicles.

But is the electric car really as green as it appears?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Doesn't matter.

They are "Trendy" and expensive,and a cheap way to  impress dolts if you are wealthy.

Drive it several times a year to Hollywood Premier's,leftist fund-raisers,etc,etc,etc,and become an instant hero to  the left.

The rest of the time,ride around in your chauffeur-driven armored Mercedes with the big V-8,like usual.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

Looks like the same may be said of solar panels (not so green). Michael Shellenberger tweets:

People say solar panels don't produce carbon emissions, but they do. And now, a major new investigation by Environmental Progress, drawing on the research of @enricomariutti , finds that solar panels made in China produce at least 3x more carbon emissions than IPCC claims.

https://twitter.com/shellenberger/status/1683465170943614977
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Looks like the same may be said of solar panels (not so green). Michael Shellenberger tweets:

People say solar panels don't produce carbon emissions, but they do. And now, a major new investigation by Environmental Progress, drawing on the research of @enricomariutti , finds that solar panels made in China produce at least 3x more carbon emissions than IPCC claims.

https://twitter.com/shellenberger/status/1683465170943614977

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

:thumbsup:

@Kamaji  @mountaineer

Are solar panels manufactured in China for sale in America sold under the American trade name identified as being made in China,or are they exempt from this requirement because a US corporation owns the Chinese plant?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Many of these "green" technologies require mining minerals and manufacturing products using possibly toxic substances which may be difficult to dispose or recycle.

All that is happening is that we are putting ourselves at an economic disadvantage to switch to more expensive, less reliable, and less efficient energy sources ... without any measurable, quantifiable, demonstrable net environmental benefit.

How does the general public know that it is working?  What are the measures they'll use to guage progress?  What's the payoff?

"Green" technology may be cleaner to use, but manufacture, disposal, or recycle of its components will create new environmental challenges.

////00000////

Green $h!t still stinks, like any other $h!t.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 03:00:39 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.