Author Topic: Ukraine’s counter-offensive is failing, with no easy fixes  (Read 535 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ukraine’s counter-offensive is failing, with no easy fixes
Kyiv complains that it doesn’t have air power, but that is not the real source of its recent struggles
The Telegraph/UK, Jul 21, 2023

With no significant breakthrough after six weeks, it is worth asking whether Ukraine’s counter-offensive can ever succeed, for it certainly doesn’t look to be succeeding now.

Compare the glacial but costly progress today to the lightning victories at Kharkiv and Kherson last autumn. Back then Kyiv’s forces were advancing against a withdrawing enemy that was pulling back to redeploy troops, trading space for time. Having now built up their forces through mobilisation and dug extensive defence lines, this time the Russians aren’t going anywhere.

That has left Ukraine with one option: launching frontal attacks against heavily defended positions, almost akin to the Western Front in World War I where trench lines ran continuously from Switzerland to the sea, with neither side achieving a decisive breakthrough for four years. Such an outcome today would leave Kyiv vulnerable to shifts in Western opinion, given the possibility of a Trump presidency or European fatigue. This is something President Zelensky must be aware of; and is perhaps causing great consternation.

The question to be asked is: are the Ukrainians prepared – militarily, politically, financially – to carry out months and potentially years of these attacks to penetrate 1914-18 style defensive belts of tank traps, barbed wire, minefields, bunkers and trench lines? The UK Ministry of Defence has described these Russian fortifications as “some of the most extensive systems of military defensive works seen anywhere in the world”.

More:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/21/ukraines-counter-offensive-is-failing-with-no-easy-fixes/

Online Kamaji

Re: Ukraine’s counter-offensive is failing, with no easy fixes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 03:29:00 pm »
:mauslaff:

RiV telling us the counteroffensive is failing is like the fox telling the chickens he's a vegan. 

Dearie, you blew your credibility so long ago, you're a laughing-stock.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 03:39:59 pm »
1. Please refrain from going personal.

2. If Ukraine's counter-offensive is failing, why is Putin firing generals leading his invasion? Why are Russian forces pulling back from their small 10 months of gains in/around Bakhmut? Why are the Russians advancing to the rear, slowly, from their defensive lines protecting the route to Mariupol?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 01:34:05 pm »
Ukraine’s counter-offensive is failing, with no easy fixes
Kyiv complains that it doesn’t have air power, but that is not the real source of its recent struggles
The Telegraph/UK, Jul 21, 2023

With no significant breakthrough after six weeks, it is worth asking whether Ukraine’s counter-offensive can ever succeed, for it certainly doesn’t look to be succeeding now.

Compare the glacial but costly progress today to the lightning victories at Kharkiv and Kherson last autumn. Back then Kyiv’s forces were advancing against a withdrawing enemy that was pulling back to redeploy troops, trading space for time. Having now built up their forces through mobilisation and dug extensive defence lines, this time the Russians aren’t going anywhere.

That has left Ukraine with one option: launching frontal attacks against heavily defended positions, almost akin to the Western Front in World War I where trench lines ran continuously from Switzerland to the sea, with neither side achieving a decisive breakthrough for four years. Such an outcome today would leave Kyiv vulnerable to shifts in Western opinion, given the possibility of a Trump presidency or European fatigue. This is something President Zelensky must be aware of; and is perhaps causing great consternation.

The question to be asked is: are the Ukrainians prepared – militarily, politically, financially – to carry out months and potentially years of these attacks to penetrate 1914-18 style defensive belts of tank traps, barbed wire, minefields, bunkers and trench lines? The UK Ministry of Defence has described these Russian fortifications as “some of the most extensive systems of military defensive works seen anywhere in the world”.

More:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/21/ukraines-counter-offensive-is-failing-with-no-easy-fixes/

These so-called "analysts" would've declared Operation Overlord a "failure" because of its slow movement through German defenses.  The Ukrainians will be fine... day by day, they're punching holes against the orcs and will in time find that weak point to exploit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 01:36:03 pm by ScottinVA »

Online Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 01:35:16 pm »
These so-called "analysts" would've declared Operation Overlord a "failure" because of its slow movement through German defenses. 

:thumbsup:

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 01:38:21 pm »
:mauslaff:

RiV telling us the counteroffensive is failing is like the fox telling the chickens he's a vegan. 

Dearie, you blew your credibility so long ago, you're a laughing-stock.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 01:39:52 pm »
1. Please refrain from going personal.

2. If Ukraine's counter-offensive is failing, why is Putin firing generals leading his invasion? Why are Russian forces pulling back from their small 10 months of gains in/around Bakhmut? Why are the Russians advancing to the rear, slowly, from their defensive lines protecting the route to Mariupol?

It's amazing how the pro-Putin types try to comfort themselves in "analysis" that is clearly shown to be false.  Every existing war map outside of the Russian propaganda outlets shows the Ukrainians gaining steadily, albeit slowly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 01:44:56 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 02:43:08 pm »
Ukraine's counteroffensive is progressing slowly, much like the initial Allied landings in Normandy.

https://www.newsweek.com/maps-ukraine-counteroffensive-isw-1813172
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/36a7f6a6f5a9448496de641cf64bd375

In previous conflicts, breakthroughs were accomplished via battles of movement - amphibious assaults or mechanized assaults with tactical air cover.

Ukraine really needs tanks and combat aircraft to break through.  This is where the Biden Admin's ambivalence, hesitation, and procrastination bites Ukraine in the @$$.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 02:45:39 pm »
Ukraine's counteroffensive is progressing slowly, much like the initial Allied landings in Normandy.

https://www.newsweek.com/maps-ukraine-counteroffensive-isw-1813172
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/36a7f6a6f5a9448496de641cf64bd375

In previous conflicts, breakthroughs were accomplished via battles of movement - amphibious assaults or mechanized assaults with tactical air cover.

Ukraine really needs tanks and combat aircraft to break through.  This is where the Biden Admin's ambivalence, hesitation, and procrastination bites Ukraine in the @$$.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 04:54:01 pm »
The truth is Ukraine probably doesn't yet have enough stuff to break through defensive lines the Russians have been building for nearly a year.  Lots of minefields, etc..

I think it's going to take a lot of "shaping" for Ukraine to have big success.  That's going to mean knocking out a lot of artillery, ammo depots, etc..  The cluster munitions will help but it is going to take awhile.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 04:58:57 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 04:55:13 pm »
The truth is Ukraine probably doesn't yet have enough stuff to break through defensive lines the Russians have been building for nearly a year.  Lots of minefields, etc..

I think it's going to take a lot of "shaping" for Ukraine to have big success.  That's going to mean knocki g out a lot of artillery, ammo depots, etc..  The cluster munitions will help but it is going to take awhile.

I believe the mine fields are a big part of the problem.  One simply cannot go charging off into a potential mine field without first taking the time to clear it; and that can be difficult if the enemy are lobbing artillery at the mine clearers.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 08:56:58 pm »
March herds of farm animals across them.  It won't clear them all, but it will clear many.

Or, have Russian POW's clear them.  Russian soldiers will be forced to fire upon their comrades.

Ask yourself, what would Stalin do?

I believe the mine fields are a big part of the problem.  One simply cannot go charging off into a potential mine field without first taking the time to clear it; and that can be difficult if the enemy are lobbing artillery at the mine clearers.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:37:39 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 10:01:49 pm »
March herds of farm animals across them.  It won't clear them all, but it will clear many.

Or, have Russian POW's clear them.  Russian soldiers will be forced to fire upon their comrades.

Ask yourself, what would Stalin do?

Doing that would almost certainly be a clear war crime.