Author Topic: DeSantis takes aim at Bud Light as state pensions crushed by company's decline: 'There's got to be p  (Read 2409 times)

Online libertybele

Florida pensions get crushed! - Great.   8888crybaby **nononono*

DeSantis takes aim at Bud Light as state pensions crushed by company's decline: 'There's got to be penalties'

Republican presidential candidate Gov. Ron DeSantis said the state of Florida is launching an inquiry into Bud Light and InBev which, he said, could lead to a lawsuit. The Florida governor told "Jesse Watters Primetime" Thursday that businesses should be penalized for prioritizing "social agendas" over shareholders after Florida pension funds took huge losses due to the beermaker's decline.

DeSantis is asking the head of the State Board of Administration (SBA) to review its holdings of AB InBev, citing the ongoing decline of its subsidiary company Bud Light.

In a letter sent to SBA Executive Director Lamar Taylor, DeSantis speculated that AB InBev may have "breached legal duties" to its shareholders by partnering with transgender activist Dylan Mulvaney and pushing "radical social ideologies."

"It has come to my attention that the State Board of Administration (SBA) currently holds global equity assets with Anheuser-Busch InBev (AB InBev)," the governor wrote in the Thursday letter. "As you well know, AB InBev's performance has plummeted since its decision to associate its Bud Light brand with radical social ideologies. That fateful decision has transformed America's formerly best-selling beer — and one of InBev's best-performing assets — into a commercial pariah. InBev's losses have been staggering." ...........

https://www.foxnews.com/media/desantis-takes-aim-bud-light-state-pensions-crushed-company-decline-got-penalties

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Florida governor told "Jesse Watters Primetime" Thursday that businesses should be penalized for prioritizing "social agendas" over shareholders after Florida pension funds took huge losses due to the beermaker's decline.

@libertybele

Say WHAT?????

Florida does NOT own any beer companies. Their pension funds MIGHT own STOCK in some corporations,but they are no more guaranteed a profit than private investors are guaranteed a profit.

Ya pays yore monies and ya takes yore chances,jist lak eberbodie else.

Is it even remotely possible he doesn't understand this?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

IMO, a shareholders' lawsuit against InBev should have been filed months ago over this blatant, in-your-face violation of fiduciary duty.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

@libertybele

Say WHAT?????

Florida does NOT own any beer companies. Their pension funds MIGHT own STOCK in some corporations,but they are no more guaranteed a profit than private investors are guaranteed a profit.

Ya pays yore monies and ya takes yore chances,jist lak eberbodie else.

Is it even remotely possible he doesn't understand this?

The only person who doesn't understand how things work here is you.  Every shareholder, no matter how small their share, is owed certain duties by the management of the company in which they own shares.  Since the State of Florida, through its pension plans, owns shares of AB, they are entitled to have their rights as a shareholder vindicated.

That is such fundamental law that even you should know that.  So what's your excuse?

Of course, if it were Trump in charge of these funds, he'd simply have them declare bankruptcy, and stiff all the pensioners depending on them for their benefits.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 04:24:12 pm by Kamaji »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The only person who doesn't understand how things work here is you.  Every shareholder, no matter how small their share, is owed certain duties by the management of the company in which they own shares.  Since the State of Florida, through its pension plans, owns shares of AB, they are entitled to have their rights as a shareholder vindicated.

@Kamaji

Blah,blah,blah.

That is such fundamental law that even you should know that.  So what's your excuse?

Well,MY excuse is I am not under the impression they OWN the company. They just own STOCK in the company. Get someone to explain the difference to you.

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

Blah,blah,blah.

Well,MY excuse is I am not under the impression they OWN the company. They just own STOCK in the company. Get someone to explain the difference to you.

:mauslaff:

Wait, wait, wait:  @sneakypete sez:  a shareholder is not an owner of the company in which they own stock

:mauslaff:  :mauslaff:

Online libertybele

IMO, a shareholders' lawsuit against InBev should have been filed months ago over this blatant, in-your-face violation of fiduciary duty.

***agree

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Online roamer_1

No @sneakypete , @Kamaji is right. Part of corporate law is the fact that the corporation has a fiduciary obligation to their stockholders - They HAVE TO TRY to optimize their stockholders' profits. That's their job, and their responsibility. And that is backed up by both stockholders' guidance meetings and civil law.

In fact they DO own the company, or a part thereof... That's what their investment in the stocks means.

And there are consequences for non-performance.

Online roamer_1

That's right... But it's coming. The stockholders get their voice at the end of this month.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
No @sneakypete , @Kamaji is right. Part of corporate law is the fact that the corporation has a fiduciary obligation to their stockholders - They HAVE TO TRY to optimize their stockholders' profits. That's their job, and their responsibility. And that is backed up by both stockholders' guidance meetings and civil law.

In fact they DO own the company, or a part thereof... That's what their investment in the stocks means.

@roamer_1

Owning a PART of a company is NOT the same thing as owning a company. That is why they are called "stock owners" instead of owners.

Offline Kamaji

@roamer_1

Owning a PART of a company is NOT the same thing as owning a company. That is why they are called "stock owners" instead of owners.

Wow.  You really don't know anything, do you.  The shares issued by a company represent ownership of the company.  A shareholder is an owner of the company, just as much as each joint owner of a jointly-owned parcel of real estate is an owner of that real estate.

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

@sneakypete

When the stockholders together own a significant percentage of the company (and they do in this case), they have a good bit of power and contract rights they can exercise in the interest of prtecting their investment.

Such an egregious destruction of value as this case will be a slam-dunk... DeSantis is right. And you are going to see it happen, starting with the stockholders' quarterly meeting at the end of this month. They have the power to depose the entire board and elect a new one, and I bet they will call for the CEO's head.

And the civil suits are just beginning.

Watch and see.

Online roamer_1

Wow.  You really don't know anything, do you.  The shares issued by a company represent ownership of the company.  A shareholder is an owner of the company, just as much as each joint owner of a jointly-owned parcel of real estate is an owner of that real estate.

That's right.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Kamaji

I tell ya what,bubba. Why don't you take your single stock ownership into a GM board meeting and demand control?

Stockholders OWN AN INDIVIDUAL PORTION OF A CORPORATION,NOT the freaking Corporation.

Offline Kamaji

@sneakypete

When the stockholders together own a significant percentage of the company (and they do in this case), they have a good bit of power and contract rights they can exercise in the interest of prtecting their investment.

Such an egregious destruction of value as this case will be a slam-dunk... DeSantis is right. And you are going to see it happen, starting with the stockholders' quarterly meeting at the end of this month. They have the power to depose the entire board and elect a new one, and I bet they will call for the CEO's head.

Watch and see.

Exactly.

Online libertybele

@sneakypete

Watch and see.

The civil suits are just beginning and rightfully so.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

@roamer_1  "Stockholders,plural,have power. The ONLY "power" an individual stockholder has is the option to sell his or her stock,or to pledge it to another stockholder to build influence with the board.

There can be no question about a majority  ownership controlling the board,and by extension,the corporation.

Watch and see.

I suspect you are right about this. I  have never heard of a stockholder who is a fan of seeing their stock lose value.

I guess there  is a possibility of the Disney Family still owning a majority of the voting stock,but  I doubt it. From what I have read,they are airheads born into wealth,with no conception of not being wealthy. They really seem to think that poverty can never happen to them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 07:32:50 pm by sneakypete »

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1  "Stockholders,plural,have power. The ONLY "power" an individual stockholder has is the option to sell his or her stock,or to pledge it to another stockholder to build influence with the board.

@sneakypete

That depends upon how much stock the single individual owns. A single individual with a single stock... you're right. He has the same rights as the big guns, but his investment, and therefore his share, is insignificant. But a single owner with, let's say, an 8% share in something like this would be able to swing a pretty big hammer.

And we are talking about the big guns here... investment firms and hedge funds, whose interests would be the same as the small stock holder - so by their intent, the small guy's funds are protected just the same.

There can be no question about a majority  ownership controlling the board,and by extension,the corporation.

I suspect you are right about this. I  have never heard of a stockholder who is a fan of seeing their stock lose value.

Right... but it is more complicated than that... especially corporations within corporations.... But they ALL have a fiduciary duty to the stockholders. And if those stockholders don't have the power to directly address the board, they still have every right to bring forward a class action civil suit.

Either which way, the excrement is about to hit the oscillating air mover. The stockholders will get their 30% back in blood or treasure.

I guess there  is a possibility of the Disney Family still owning a majority of the voting stock,but  I doubt it. From what I have read,they are airheads born into wealth,with no conception of not being wealthy. They really seem to think that poverty can never happen to them.

This is Tranheiser-Busch-In-Bev, not Disney...

Though Disney ain't faring too well against the good Florida Governor either.

Online roamer_1

Exactly.

By the time this is over, stakeholder corporatism will be on the ropes.
And that's awesome.

:beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

This is Tranheiser-Busch-In-Bev, not Disney...

@roamer_1

Huh?

Offline Kamaji

@roamer_1

Huh?

:mauslaff:

Uh, the story is about Florida suing the corporation that owns Bud Light, not Disney.

Online roamer_1

The civil suits are just beginning and rightfully so.

That's right. And this is a hallmark case. The kind of thing that will be taught in business schools for a hundred years. Budweiser/Bud Light as a brand is destroyed. Tranheiser-Busch as a brand is destroyed. And now come the wolves and the vultures...

In-Bev may have to get rid of them and cut their losses. It's getting that bad.

And that's an amazement.  :beer:

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

Huh?

@sneakypete

Read the OP title. This is about Bud Light (Anheuser-Busch-InBev)... Not about Disney.

DeSantis is taking on ANOTHER ONE. WOO!

Online libertybele

@sneakypete

Read the OP title. This is about Bud Light (Anheuser-Busch-InBev)... Not about Disney.

DeSantis is taking on ANOTHER ONE. WOO!

I'm glad and he should. It's hitting FL pensions which isn't a good thing.  This is jeopardizing the FL retirement system; those who have saved for retirement and those who are now receiving their pension money.

Hopefully he'll stop it before the FL pension system goes broke.

Pensions as a whole nationwide aren't doing all that great; many are not funded as they should be. Last statistics indicate that Florida's pension system only has enough money to meet about 83 percent of its projected liabilities. The issue with Bud isn't helping.

I'm not sure, but I would think that this is affecting other state pensions as well.