Author Topic: Looking at the essentials: Commentary by Jon Boone, June 1, 2023  (Read 260 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
JUN 1, 2023NO COMMENTSNEWSWORTHY
Looking at the essentials: Commentary by Jon Boone, June 1, 2023

Wind’s existential mode of delivery puts a dagger through the heart of claims that wind can do much of anything to reduce CO2 emissions, which is the only energy related reason anyone considers deploying it. The mantra should be that wind technology is a dysfunctional solution to a non-existent problem.

There is no way that more power plants, more power lines, and the batteries they now require could somehow be cheaper. Wind turbines have shown that they last 20-25 years all told and 10-15 before they require $1,000,000 each in “repowering.” A traditional power plant lasts 60-75 years. We can have traditional power without turbines or solar, but it is not possible to have it the other way.
Wind Watch

COMMENTARY BY JON BOONE:

I pointed this out nearly two decades ago, most forcefully in my essay, Overblown: https://www.masterresource.org/general-problems/windpower-overblown-part-1/. Wind production is NOT linear, as some suggest. Rather, it is geometric, the result of the fact that wind generation is a function of the cube of the wind speed within a fairly narrow wind speed range, typically 8-33 mph. That is, wind tech doesn’t convert wind energy into electricity until wind speeds hit 8 mph and it maxes out when it reaches its rated capacity when the wind speed hits 33 mph.

Therefore, any change in wind speed within this range, up or down, results in substantial volatility. Because supply must match demand precisely at all times, conventional generation, overwhelmingly coal or natural gas fired, must be continuously entangled with wind to balance the grid, in the process creating substantial heat rate penalties that largely negate any CO2 offsets wind may have produced at the front end of its performance.

https://greatlakeswindtruth.org/newsworthy/guest-commentary-by-jon-boone/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

Re: Looking at the essentials: Commentary by Jon Boone, June 1, 2023
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 06:41:02 pm »
Nuclear is the only long-term strategy.