Author Topic: The Atlantic: “Vermont Was Supposed to Be a Climate Haven”  (Read 345 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Atlantic: “Vermont Was Supposed to Be a Climate Haven”
17 hours ago 
Essay by Eric Worrall

The once in a century floods which happen every 10-20 years.

Vermont Was Supposed to Be a Climate Haven

I thought my home was safe from extreme weather. Then the rain came.

By Megan Mayhew Bergman

Lamoille County, Vermont, is home to 26,000 people living in small towns nestled among the woods and mountains. It’s known for two ski resorts—Stowe and Smugglers’ Notch—and a winding river where locals and tourists fly-fish and canoe. In 2020, a ProPublica analysis identified Lamoille as the one county, across the entire United States, that could be most protected from the combined effects of climate change, including sea-level rise, wildfires, crop damage, and economic impact. But that was before the floods.

Earlier this month, five to 10 inches of rain fell in Morrisville, near the center of the county. Roads were destroyed in nearby Wolcott. Thirty people were evacuated as floodwaters from the Lamoille River swirled around Cambridge. Entire harvests were wiped out, and major roads became impassable. Jennifer Morrison, Vermont’s public-safety commissioner, called Lamoille County “the hardest-hit area” in the state.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/07/21/the-atlantic-vermont-was-supposed-to-be-a-climate-haven/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Atlantic: “Vermont Was Supposed to Be a Climate Haven”
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 02:16:31 pm »
Huh?

I thought Vermont was supposed to be freezing-ass cold in the winter?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 02:32:14 pm »
Vermont Was Supposed to Be a Climate Haven

Just one in a very very long list of things that liberals were wrong about.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 04:17:25 pm »
:facepalm2: