Author Topic: Mini tent city emerges under BQE as NYC residents fear influx as migrants get booted from shelters  (Read 446 times)

Online Kamaji

Mini tent city emerges under BQE as NYC residents fear influx as migrants get booted from shelters

By Georgett Roberts and Emily Crane
July 20, 2023

More than a dozen migrants created their own mini tent city under the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway this week after being booted from one of the Big Apple’s newest mega shelters — sparking fears of a “new normal” now the city has imposed a 60-day stay limit on some asylum seekers.

The tents popped up under the overpass in Brooklyn’s Clinton Hill neighborhood earlier this week — just steps away from the new large-scale shelter at 47 Hall Street that’s designed to cater for roughly 2,000 single adult migrants.

The group of Venezuelan migrants, who copped to recently being booted from the shelter after a fight with other asylum seekers, subsequently opted to create their tiny encampment — complete with three tents, a huge tarp and multiple mattresses crammed between rows of parked vehicles.

The emergence of the tents triggered immediately concerns from nearby residents in the wake of Mayor Eric Adams’ announcement Wednesday that adult migrants will now only be allowed to stay in shelters for 60 days.

“It’s a ticking time bomb,” a father-of-two told The Post of the new stay limit.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/20/mini-tent-city-emerges-under-bqe-as-nyc-residents-fear-a-new-normal-as-migrants-get-booted-from-shelters/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Is the not too distant future roving gangs of military age men, all part of the Traitor Joe Migrant Roadshow...maybe coming to a town near you....

Jason Aldean' s video is more timely than it seemed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

New York Dems can push for sensible immigration enforcement, or shell out money for bus fare to ship them to another state.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline PeteS in CA

Welcome to the realities of actually having to be a sanctuary city plus enabling the Sacred Homeless.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Kamaji

Well, that was quick:

Migrant tent city under NYC’s BQE torn down by city: ‘They left me like a dog in the street’

By Bernadette Hogan and Emily Crane
July 21, 2023

A visibly distraught migrant whose worldly possessions – including his toothbrush – were thrown out by city workers cleaning up an encampment near the Brooklyn Navy Yard on Friday, sobbed while speaking with The Post.

“They’ve left me like a dog on the street,” a distressed migrant, Jose Alvarado, 42, said.

Multiple cops and Department of Sanitation workers were spotted under the overpass in Brooklyn’s Clinton Hill neighborhood, where the group of mostly Venezuelan migrants have been sleeping rough this week.

“The police just came and took everything; when I begged for them to leave me my clothes, an officer hit me on my hands just to get to my clothes, he added.

“They didn’t even leave me a toothbrush; they took everything from me,” he continued. “I cried to the commander not to throw away my stuff — he just didn’t listen.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/21/migrant-tent-city-under-nycs-bqe-torn-down-by-city-they-left-me-like-a-dog-in-the-street/

Online Kamaji

Migrants booted from mini-tent city under BQE are back living there again

By Georgia Worrell and
Rich Calder   
July 22, 2023

Less than a day after cops and Sanitation workers cleared out a makeshift migrant tent city under the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, even more, returned to live there.

About 15 migrants were back to al fresco living Saturday, claiming it was safer than the Bronx shelter where about a dozen tent city denizens were taken the day before.

“They took us up to the Bronx to a place that was way worse than [Hall Street] shelter,” said a 36-year-old Peruvian migrant, referring to another migrant shelter at nearby 47 Hall Street where some were recently booted for brawling. “I have friends staying there, and they said it was dangerous, too — people with guns, smoking, drinking.”

After being tossed from the Hall Street shelter they and others set up three tents, a huge tarp, and multiple mattresses crammed between rows of parked vehicles under the BQE.

“We don’t want to live [in the encampment], but it’s better than the shelters,” added the male migrant, who arrived in the United States three months ago, and was among those who quickly returned Friday night.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/22/booted-migrants-defy-cops-return-to-mini-tent-city-under-bqe/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well,if they are worried about their safety,they  can always go home.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!