Author Topic: EVs Are Sending Toxic Tire Particles Into the Water, Soil, and Air  (Read 404 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

EVs Are Sending Toxic Tire Particles Into the Water, Soil, and Air
Story by David Zipper • Wednesday

Electric vehicles, you might have heard, are miraculous. Just a sliver of new cars sold in the United States are EVs, but these machines have united a mishmash of people eager to move America away from gasoline. Environmental groups are all-in, and the federal government is offering hefty incentives to spur sales. Automakers now offer twice as many EV models as before the pandemic, and are pumping out endless commercials to promote them. “We believe in an all-electric future,” General Motors CEO Mary Barra said in an interview a few weeks ago. Even car enthusiasts are getting on board: YouTube offers endless videos of people racing their EVs.

Such enthusiasm is warranted. The urgency of climate change requires electrifying the 278 million personal vehicles plying American roadways as quickly as we can. After all, EVs are far more climate-friendly than equivalent gas-powered models because they eliminate the tailpipe emissions that warm the planet and pollute the air. Better yet, EVs are simply fun to drive: Most models are quicker and quieter than your average gas car.

But that is not the full story. EVs also produce emissions beyond what spews from their tailpipe. Like all cars, their tires are constantly rubbing against pavement, releasing particulates that float through the air and leach into waterways, damaging human health and wildlife. New EV models tend to be heavier and quicker—generating more particulates and deepening the danger. In other words, EVs have a tire-pollution problem, and one that is poised to get worse as America begins to adopt electric cars en masse. None of this is inevitable. EVs don’t need to be so massive and lightning-fast—these are choices that the auto industry has made. All of us will pay the price.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/evs-are-sending-toxic-tire-particles-into-the-water-soil-and-air/ar-AA1e4KqI?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=01f025b858364e1bbc8addc6c72adf51&ei=51
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: EVs Are Sending Toxic Tire Particles Into the Water, Soil, and Air
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 10:05:31 pm »
I've seen several stories about this over the last few months.

But it suggests something else as well.
Since ev's are heavier, and the tires thus seem to wear more heavily, does that mean ev owners must buy new tires that much more often, as well? And probably new brakes?

Another previously-undocumented expense of owning an electric car...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 10:21:01 pm »

Since ev's are heavier, and the tires thus seem to wear more heavily, does that mean ev owners must buy new tires that much more often, as well? And probably new brakes?

I would think they'd have to buy tires with a higher load rating.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 11:26:01 pm »

Depending on whether the EV has regenerative braking, the brakes may not wear out as fast.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 03:20:35 am »
So EV's are heavy and put more wear on their tires and roads and infrastructure but all of us driving ICE vehicles effectively pay for all the road and infrastructure maintenance. Personally I can't get all concerned about this toxic particles being more from EV's there are still a ton of trucks, full size SUV's and Semi trucks doing the same damn thing because of comparable of higher weight.