Author Topic: Hirono: If SCOTUS Doesn’t Adopt a Code of Ethics Congress Will Provide One for Them  (Read 736 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hirono: If SCOTUS Doesn’t Adopt a Code of Ethics Congress Will Provide One for Them

Pam Key 20 Jul 2023

Senator Mazie Hirono (D-HI) said Thursday on “CNN News Central” that the Democratic-led Senate Judiciary Committee advancing legislation that requires the Supreme Court to set up a code of ethics or be provided one will ultimately become law and survive any legal challenges.

Hirono said, “Let’s understand that the United States Supreme Court does not have a code of ethics that apply to all other federal judges. So, the highest court in the land should set the highest standard, they do not. So, this is a bill that would do that. And what will it do? It will establish a procedure for investigating ethical violations, it will make much clearer recusal requirements and the third is to give the court time to adopt a code of ethics and if they do not, then one will be provided to them.”

She added, “I think that the American people can understand that the Supreme Court should have a code of ethics, they should not be taking trips on airplanes and being wined and dined to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars, and there’s absolutely no disclosure. Not to mention, that shouldn’t a justice recuse himself when his wife is involved in a case that comes before the Supreme Court?”

When asked if, the law is constitutional, Hirono said, “We have already had a hearing with experts on determining wether or not Congress has the power to get this bill through the finish line and we can. Because, the Congress establishes a number of other aspects of how the court operates. And this would not be anything different from what Congress can already do. So, I would say that the legality of this approach is settled, as I’m concerned.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/07/20/hirono-if-scotus-doesnt-adopt-a-code-of-ethics-congress-will-provide-one-for-them/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Unconstitutional.  The Court is a coequal branch of government, and Congress can dictate to the Court only within the confines of the Constitution.  The Constitution in turn only allows Congress to discipline the Court through impeachment. 

Figures that a stupid liberal wouldn’t understand such a basic concept as separation of powers and coequal branches.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
No they won't Weezie.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Unconstitutional.  The Court is a coequal branch of government, and Congress can dictate to the Court only within the confines of the Constitution.  The Constitution in turn only allows Congress to discipline the Court through impeachment. 

Figures that a stupid liberal wouldn’t understand such a basic concept as separation of powers and coequal branches.

The law wouldn't be unconstitutional, possibly the enforcement. As always only impeachment can get rid of judges.

We're slowly but surely going back to the Samuel Chase era who was impeached merely because they didn't like his decision.

Our framers were smart to set up impeachment, including requiring a supermajority in the Senate to convict.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The law wouldn't be unconstitutional, possibly the enforcement. As always only impeachment can get rid of judges.

We're slowly but surely going back to the Samuel Chase era who was impeached merely because they didn't like his decision.

Our framers were smart to set up impeachment, including requiring a supermajority in the Senate to convict.

That's a really important point.

There is a Code of Conduct for United States Judges, applicable to all federal judges except the Supreme Court, and that isn't any more authorized by the Constitution than is this proposed legislation.  Violations of that Code are not cause for removal from the bench, and impeachment remains the sole avenue of enforcement.

So...wouldn't this basically be the same thing?  It would be Congress sort of announcing that "these are the particular standards to which we will try to hold judges if there is an impeachment", but it isn't enforceable on its own terms, and impeachment remains the only way to get rid of it.  It's basically Congress trying to announce ahead of time the standards that it might apply in a future impeachment hearing, rather than just making them up on a case by case basis as they go along.

My first reaction to this was highly negative because of the obvious motivation, but standing alone...it isn't a bad idea.  What would suck worse is inventing ethical rules on the fly, without any notice, and then pushing for impeachment and removal on that basis.

Obviously, the Hirono factor means this particular effort would be screwed from the start, but it isn't a terrible idea in theory.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 06:44:06 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Congress needs to grow a pair and step up.

The imperial Presidency and the authoritative Judiciary are treading upon powers reserved for the Legislative branch.

////00000////

When not impeaching opposition party members, Congress should be legislating, deliberating, voting, and asserting their oversight and appropriation powers.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.