Author Topic: Casey DeSantis shrugs off ‘Walmart Melania,’ ‘America’s Karen’ attacks from lefty critics  (Read 986 times)

Offline Kamaji

Casey DeSantis shrugs off ‘Walmart Melania,’ ‘America’s Karen’ attacks from lefty critics

By Ryan King
July 20, 2023

Florida first lady Casey DeSantis snapped back Thursday at left-wing critics who have dubbed her “America’s Karen,” “Walmart Melania” and other disparaging monikers.

“One thing that the corporate media did get right about me, I do shop at Walmart,” Casey joked alongside her husband, Gov. Ron DeSantis, during an interview on “Fox & Friends.”

“When they come after you and they’re just calling you names — that means they don’t want to litigate the merits of their case,” she added. “They don’t want to have that conversation. They want to call you names.”

Casey DeSantis has begun taking a more active role on the campaign trail, often stumping beside her husband, and launching the “Mamas for DeSantis” initiative earlier this month.

As the former local TV news anchor’s profile has risen, so too has the number of her detractors. One anonymously sourced piece published by Politico in May referenced a quote by longtime Donald Trump ally Roger Stone, who asked last fall: “Have you ever noticed how much Ron DeSantis’ wife, Casey, is like Lady Macbeth?”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/20/casey-desantis-shrugs-off-americas-karen-attack-line/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Going,after Casey, or any other candidates spouse (or significant other) is really pathetic.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

Going,after Casey, or any other candidates spouse (or significant other) is really pathetic.

Yes it is.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
That "Walmart Melania" thing just reeks of elitism...coming from the party that claims to represent the downtrodden.

Offline corbe

How much of this is coming from the left and how much is coming from Trumpers?  I remember how they slandered Heidi Cruz.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

How much of this is coming from the left and how much is coming from Trumpers?  I remember how they slandered Heidi Cruz.

Haven't heard any of this kind of stuff from the Trump camp.  Seems to be standard lefties.

Offline mountaineer

Especially with something as lame as "Walmart Melania." Good grief.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Pretty much from the left, for now. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

I agree with this, untl the spouse inserts him or herself into the campaign as an independent player.  Jill Biden made herself fair game once she took over interviews and campaigning on Joe's behalf.  The same holds for Casey DeSantis now that the campaign has announced her role campaigning solo.  She's even filming independent campaign ads.    Such changes forfeit the spousal shield.

I think this is one of the reasons Melania Trump was loathe to assume this role.

Offline ScottinVA

Attacking Casey like that reveals the retardation of her low-life detractors.

Offline LMAO

Attacking Casey like that reveals the retardation of her low-life detractors.

Didn’t we attack Hillary Clinton or Big Mike Obama?  :shrug:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Hillary Clinton didn't just insert herself into the campaign to promote her husband - she actually said it was a "2 for 1" deal with her husband because she would help him govern. At that point, her political views became an issue.  That wasn't the case with Michelle Obama, Melania Trump, or Casey DeSantis.

I don't think the purely personal attacks against politicians, much less their wives, are appropriate period.  I thought calling Hillary "Cankles", and the stuff said about Michelle Obama being a tranny, or man, or whatever, was low class and uncalled for.  Still don't like it.  I think a lot of people who aren't highly partisan have a negative view of those who make those kind of comments, and I don't think it is helpful politically.

Obviously, it's worse when the people making those comments are media types or have a real public platform.  Jokes made in private or small online communities are less of an issue because they don't get disseminated into the public.

That being said, the people who are in the wrong are the people who said those things. It isn't any more right to make those kind of comments about Casey DeSantis then it was to make those kind of comments about Hillary Clinton or Michelle Obama, nor does the fact that some people said those things justify comments being made about Casey DeSantis.  It's not her fault that other people lacked class.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 01:15:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If it were me I'd consider it a badge of honor.
The Republic is lost.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Hillary Clinton didn't just insert herself into the campaign to promote her husband - she actually said it was a "2 for 1" deal with her husband because she would help him govern.

So does Casey.  She speaks of "we", not "he",  when talking about accomplishments and policy.

Offline LMAO

The attacks on a candidates spouse don't trigger me if she inserts herself in the campaign

Minor children, OTOH, are off limits regardless of any contributions they make to the parent's campaign
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Maj. Bill Martin

The attacks on a candidates spouse don't trigger me if she inserts herself in the campaign

What kind of attacks?

I mean, if a wife is going around saying "my husband would make a great President" how is attacking her relevant to that?  Wouldn't the relevant response to that be to criticize the husband?

You don't refute "My husband did a great job building x" by saying "you had an abortion when you were 16, and your dress is ugly.'

I just don't get it.  The issue is still the husband's fitness for office, regardless of the fact that his wife is campaigning for him.

And that isn't just with respect to the DeSantis', either.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 11:12:10 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Will someone please remind me of what public  office she is trying to get elected to hold?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

What kind of attacks?

I mean, if a wife is going around saying "my husband would make a great President" how is attacking her relevant to that?  Wouldn't the relevant response to that be to criticize the husband?

You don't refute "My husband did a great job building x" by saying "you had an abortion when you were 16, and your dress is ugly.'

I just don't get it.  The issue is still the husband's fitness for office, regardless of the fact that his wife is campaigning for him.

And that isn't just with respect to the DeSantis', either.

I would expect the attacks to be substantive. Something more, for example,  than attacking the physical appearance of your primary opponent wink777

Barry Goldwater

Offline libertybele

As far as Trump, not really.  The most we heard against Clinton is that he was going to lock her up, which obviously he never did.  Trump just running his mouth again.

Some went after O'Bammy's birth certificate but I don't recall nasty verbal attacks.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

The criticism of Big Mike came after Barry O was elected. I don't recall insulting remarks about her appearance until the media started gushing about how beautiful she was and what a fashion icon, too - and that was after she already was occupying the White House and strapping boob belts around her ribcage and posing for Vogue.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The criticism of Big Mike came after Barry O was elected. I don't recall insulting remarks about her appearance until the media started gushing about how beautiful she was and what a fashion icon, too - and that was after she already was occupying the White House and strapping boob belts around her ribcage and posing for Vogue.

When did she wear a boob belt? All I ever saw her wear was a harness.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mountaineer

When did she wear a boob belt? All I ever saw her wear was a harness.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

I would expect the attacks to be substantive. Something more, for example,  than attacking the physical appearance of your primary opponent wink777

Such as...what?

I mean, she's basically going around giving short speeches and presentations about how great her husband is.  So exactly what is there to say about her, as opposed to her husband's policies, that is relevant to the election of her husband?   If someone wants to criticizes something she says, that's fine.  I just don't get what else there is to say about her that is relevant.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Yeah...I still don't get it.  Perfectly fair to go after her if she says something controversial -- she deserved to get hammered for her "first time proud of my country" comment.  But the stuff about her looking like a man, or being unattractive.

Just not my thing, and I think it is the type of comment that is going to really piss off some folks who otherwise might not care all that much about politics.  Makes us look like exactly what they sometimes claim we are.

Online Right_in_Virginia

I mean, she's basically going around giving short speeches and presentations about how great her husband is.  So exactly what is there to say about her, as opposed to her husband's policies, that is relevant to the election of her husband?

But, she's not @Maj. Bill Martin

So does Casey.  She speaks of "we", not "he",  when talking about accomplishments and policy.