Author Topic: DeSantis backs Tommy Tuberville blockade on military nominations  (Read 209 times)

Offline Kamaji

Ron DeSantis backs Tommy Tuberville blockade on military nominations

By Ryan King
July 20, 2023

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis defended Sen. Tommy Tuberville’s ongoing hold on military nominations Thursday, saying the Pentagon should “stand down” and stop promoting “abortion tourism.”

“What the military’s policy is, is not following US law,” the 2024 Republican contender told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt. “They are using tax dollars. They’re funding abortion tourism, which is not an appropriate thing for the military to be doing.

“So I think our Republicans in the Congress should just take a stand on this. The DOD should stand down,” DeSantis added.

Tuberville (R-Ala.) has been placing holds on military promotions since February, preventing approximately 270 high-ranking personnel from getting an expedited Senate vote.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/20/desantis-defends-tuberville-blockade-on-military-nominations/

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: DeSantis backs Tommy Tuberville blockade on military nominations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 04:38:48 pm »
I think he's right.

It's one thing for the military to permit women to take accumulated leave if they want to travel and get an abortion at their own expense.  What you do on leave is your own business.

But the US military has never paid for abortions, and shouldn't be paying the travel expenses of people going to get them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 06:26:39 pm »
I think he's right.

It's one thing for the military to permit women to take accumulated leave if they want to travel and get an abortion at their own expense.  What you do on leave is your own business.

But the US military has never paid for abortions, and shouldn't be paying the travel expenses of people going to get them.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Agree 100 percent,although as a general rule I am opposed to "convenience abortions".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 09:42:07 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Agree 100 percent,although as a general rule I am opposed to "convenience abortions".

Same here.