Author Topic: Fear drives Brooklyn youth to carry guns — and neither cops nor jail are a deterrent  (Read 447 times)

Offline Kamaji

Fear drives Brooklyn youth to carry guns — and neither cops nor jail are a deterrent, study says

By Steve Janoski
July 18, 2023

Young men in Brooklyn carry guns because they’re afraid for their lives — and neither aggressive policing nor the threat of jail time will deter them, according to a new study.

Researchers with the non-profit Center for Justice Innovation gleaned the information from 103 gun-carriers, most of them black men ages 15-24, during in-depth interviews conducted between February 2020 and March 2021.

About three quarters of those interviewed said they feared either their own death or someone in their family’s — and that’s why they strapped up.

Those worries weren’t unfounded: About 89% of respondents had a friend or family member who had been shot, while 76% had been shot or shot at themselves, according to the report released this month.

But it wasn’t just gun violence that scared them — 35% said they carried because they feared New York’s Finest and 32% cited a fear of gangs, the study said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/18/fear-drives-brooklyn-youth-to-carry-guns-and-neither-cops-nor-jail-are-a-deterrent-study-says/

Offline Kamaji

The study is clearly intended as a political narrative to support gun confiscation, but what it actually does is demonstrate just how toxic and dysfunctional black american culture is, and that it is that toxic culture that is the source of the problem, not the ownership of guns per se, particularly not by individuals who do not even reside in NYC.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Apparently Robert Heinlein's maxim "about an armed society being a polite society" doesn't work with black urban yutes.

Most of 'em just itchin' to be shootin' ...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Apparently Robert Heinlein's maxim "about an armed society being a polite society" doesn't work with black urban yutes.

Most of 'em just itchin' to be shootin' ...

@Fishrrman

Trumps falt!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

It would be interesting to learn how many are thugs and how many "just" ordinary yutes preparing to defend themselves. It should not need to be said, but Prog officials seem not to realize that trained police officers are more likely to defend themselves and others more carefully and skillfully than most civilians. Civilians being forced to defend themselves when police cannot will get messy.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Just a minute,here!

How is that even possible,with the strict gun laws in NYC?

Are the lefties in NYC now admitting that gun control doesn't work and never will?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It would be interesting to learn how many are thugs and how many "just" ordinary yutes preparing to defend themselves. It should not need to be said, but Prog officials seem not to realize that trained police officers are more likely to defend themselves and others more carefully and skillfully than most civilians. Civilians being forced to defend themselves when police cannot will get messy.

@PeterS

This is because it is the  "youts" of NYC we are talking about,not rural kids. The only time that NYC  kids get to shoot their guns is when they are shooting them at someone else.

Most rural kids were like me,owning and shooting guns before they even became teenagers. These kids generally hit what they are aiming at BECAUSE they are aiming a gun,NOT shooting a "magical gun" that does it's own aiming and trigger pulling.

I can't remember now how old I was when I got my first  gun,but it was a double-barrel 12 gauge with hammers,and I kept it and the shells for it in my bedroom.

And it never once occurred to me to even point it at anyone,regardless of it if was loaded or not loaded.

Offline PeteS in CA

There are people who are very trained in shooting, self-defense, and laws pertaining thereto. They are not numerous. Many more have learned to shoot skillfully, through hunting and/or range time. As you say, I doubt many of these who are law-abiding are either.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.