Author Topic: Border security initiatives violate rights of migrants and residents, advocacy group says  (Read 152 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Border security initiatives violate rights of migrants and residents, advocacy group says
Border Network for Human Rights releases findings from the 2022-2023 Binational Abuse Documentation Campaign

by: Fernie Ortiz

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 / 07:01 PM CDT

Updated: Jul 18, 2023 / 08:23 AM CDT

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) — An immigrant advocacy group continues to see what it calls a systemic pattern of abuse and lack of accountability under which law enforcement agencies interact with migrants and border residents.

During its binational abuse documentation campaign, the El Paso-based Border Network for Human Rights identified 177 alleged cases of abuse, and it documented 52 cases of abuse allegedly committed by federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies from El Paso and Southern New Mexico to Texas’s Rio Grande Valley.

Each year, volunteers interview migrants and members of the community, urging them to document instances of abuse, ranging from verbal, psychological and physical abuse to the denial of due process, racial profiling and gender discrimination.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/border-security-initiatives-violate-rights-of-migrants-and-residents-advocacy-group-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji