Author Topic: Biggest smoke plume yet from Canadian wildfires to blanket 23 states today as Code Orange warnings i  (Read 1270 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biggest smoke plume yet from Canadian wildfires to blanket 23 states today as Code Orange warnings issued for vulnerable residents to stay indoors

Nearly half of US states are predicted to be impacted Tuesday by smoke moving down from Canada   
    It is the largest smoke plume recorded so far this year
    The smoke is expected to disperse by Wednesday when it will be pushed off the East Coast

By Sophie Mann For Dailymail.Com

Published: 02:59 EDT, 18 July 2023 | Updated: 08:53 EDT, 18 July 2023

Another massive plume of smoke from Canada hit the lower 48 on Monday, with air quality in some half of US states expected to be impacted at least through Tuesday.

Smoke swept through US cities and states on the East Coast Monday, prompting local health authorities to issue air quality warnings and request that people with health issues that may make them vulnerable to smoke to stay inside.

Code Orange air quality - meaning quality that will impact vulnerable populations - is expected to hit 23 states through Tuesday and will include population hubs like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Nashville - all of which were also blanketed in smoke on Monday.

Washington, DC ranked among the most polluted cities on Earth Monday afternoon due to the smoke that was swept over from the Appalachians toward the coast.

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12309431/America-smoked-Biggest-smoke-plume-Canadian-wildfires-blanket-23-states-today-Code-Orange-warnings-issued-vulnerable-residents-stay-indoors.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

I wonder if the skies in NYC will turn orange again.

Offline mountaineer

Another hazy day here. My eyes will be burning any moment now.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Canadian wild fire smoke to the north. Serra dust cloud to the south. Here I am, stuck in the middle with you!.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You could smell the smoke here in NW ND yesterday, today is still a little hazy.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Thank God those tree weren't cut down for lumber, paper, or firewood.  Otheriwse, there'd be no trees to burn and pollute our air this summer.

I haven't seen air pollution / haze like this for decades ... since the days when dog poop turned white.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 07:04:41 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
////00000////

Thank God those tree weren't cut down for lumber, paper, or firewood.  Otheriwse, there's be no trees to burn and pollute our air this summer.

I haven't seen air pollution / haze like this for decades ... like since dog poop stopped turning white.

Am 77. Have lived off Lake Erie and in the Washington, DC region my entire life.

Have never experienced forest fire smoke.  This is a first!

And, it's dangerous because it is non-combusted material in that 'smoke' going into your lungs.

Let's see...do I want my child to wear a mask, thus impugning her social skills for life?

Or, should I make sure she lights up any room, but dies in her forties?    :pondering:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Am 77. Have lived off Lake Erie and in the Washington, DC region my entire life.

Have never experienced forest fire smoke.  This is a first!

And, it's dangerous because it is non-combusted material in that 'smoke' going into your lungs.

Let's see...do I want my child to wear a mask, thus impugning her social skills for life?

Or, should I make sure she lights up any room, but dies in her forties?    :pondering:

We haven't seen blue skies in a month in my neck of the woods @DCPatriot   But, air quality in the last few days has been intolerable ----- I'm guessing the dust from the Sahara is starting to mix in.

Offline roamer_1

Kinda nice for all y'all to get a wee example of what US govt has made an annual occasion out west.

We get it every year now, pretty much, now that the government has curtailed the logging industry... Only 100 times worse, because the smoke is coming from right over the mountain... not states and provinces away...

Think of all the board feet in lumber going up in smoke right now, next time you pay a mint for a 2x4.

Online DCPatriot

We haven't seen blue skies in a month in my neck of the woods @DCPatriot   But, air quality in the last few days has been intolerable ----- I'm guessing the dust from the Sahara is starting to mix in.

@Right_in_Virginia

And we've all read that they cannot...WILL NOT...intervene in trying to put these fires out.

"We have an agenda to follow..."  /s

It would be a logistical nightmare anyway.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

Think of the ridiculousness of pollution laws in the face of a forest fire that can put NYC pollution to shame from a thousand miles away...

Then look at what St Helens did.

Online DCPatriot

Kinda nice for all y'all to get a wee example of what US govt has made an annual occasion out west.

We get it every year now, pretty much, now that the government has curtailed the logging industry... Only 100 times worse, because the smoke is coming from right over the mountain... not states and provinces away...

Think of all the board feet in lumber going up in smoke right now, next time you pay a mint for a 2x4.

The entire season?

This crap began mid Spring. 

Last month they even invented a 'new' color (purple) on the weather maps to show the severity of the pollution.  A "DEFCON 6"

Offline Smokin Joe

Think of the ridiculousness of pollution laws in the face of a forest fire that can put NYC pollution to shame from a thousand miles away...

Then look at what St Helens did.
Yep.

I can't help but think of all the folks in the timber industry, sawmills, etc. who were put out of business who are watching their past livelihoods go up in smoke. What a frigging waste.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

It would be a logistical nightmare anyway.

It would be NOW.

Not if the logging industry was in full bloom, with their experienced workers in their thousands, and heavy machinery galore, and roads already built and maintained for the logging.

When I worked logging, it was not uncommon for the whole crew - from the sawyers and skidders, to the big D6 and D8 cats -the whole kit and kiboodle - to get picked up and plopped down on fire duty.

And it is a sight to see, what a logging crew can do in a day making fire break.

Offline roamer_1

Yep.

I can't help but think of all the folks in the timber industry, sawmills, etc. who were put out of business who are watching their past livelihoods go up in smoke. What a frigging waste.

I heard that.

Offline roamer_1

The entire season?

This crap began mid Spring. 

Last month they even invented a 'new' color (purple) on the weather maps to show the severity of the pollution.  A "DEFCON 6"

@DCPatriot

Two of the last three summers the smoke has been so bad here that the mountain behind me, less than a quarter mile away, that fills half the southern sky from here, could not be seen from mid July to mid September. Two solid months with nary a break, the sun nothing but a baleful orange glow.

Y'all ain't seen but a glimpse. You think it's bad for you, what about the Canucks that get it from less than 100 miles away?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
The pay for lumber off your land is a joke, the only people making the money in the lumber business is the middle men... not the loggers or land owners.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online DCPatriot

It would be NOW.

Not if the logging industry was in full bloom, with their experienced workers in their thousands, and heavy machinery galore, and roads already built and maintained for the logging.

When I worked logging, it was not uncommon for the whole crew - from the sawyers and skidders, to the big D6 and D8 cats -the whole kit and kiboodle - to get picked up and plopped down on fire duty.

And it is a sight to see, what a logging crew can do in a day making fire break.

@roamer_1

Understand one of the major fires started right in the midst of an area that survives SOLELY on logging, milling and the transportation thereof.   Also, read too many started at the same time to be any coincidence.

Online DCPatriot

@roamer_1

Seems any effort to make a successful break does involve an unhealthy percentage of luck...wind speed and direction.

And why in the hell didn't the tsunami of rainfall going northeast from Pennsylvania affect their advance?

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Seems any effort to make a successful break does involve an unhealthy percentage of luck...wind speed and direction.

And why in the hell didn't the tsunami of rainfall going northeast from Pennsylvania affect their advance?

@DCPatriot

Canada is still crazy dry this year... The NW caught rains, but they dipped south somewhere over Saskatchewan... Eastern forests are still dry as a popcorn fart.

Offline Smokin Joe

The pay for lumber off your land is a joke, the only people making the money in the lumber business is the middle men... not the loggers or land owners.
I guess it depends on what you have. My folks have 22 acres of 150 year old red oak. Only problem is, the State and Feds will not let them harvest it (planted by our ancestors). Last tree they did get the nine permits to cut down sold for $3000.00 (for veneer) and that's been over ten years ago.

C S Lewis