Author Topic: The Urban Heat Island Effect Behind Large Spurious Warming In GHCN Temp Dataset  (Read 282 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY ROY SPENCER, PH.D. ON JUL 17, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

The Urban Heat Island Effect Behind Large Spurious Warming In GHCN Temp Dataset

city sun hot baked earthIt has been a while since I have posted progress on our DOE-funded research into the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect in the GHCN [Global Historical Climatology Network] station temperatures used to monitor land-based global warming.

It should be remembered that everything I post on this subject is (as is usually the case) a work in progress. [emphasis, links added]

The bottom line is that there are substantial UHI-based trend (warming) effects in the GHCN station temperatures; the only question is, how much have they affected temperature trends?

Most previously published research on the subject has suggested the effects are small (Hausfather et al., 2013; Wickham et al., 2013; Hansen et al., 2010; Parker, 2010; Jones et al., 2008; Parker, 2006; Peterson & Owen, 2005; Peterson, 2003; Peterson et al., 1999; Gallo et al., 1999; Karl et al., 1988).

https://climatechangedispatch.com/urban-heat-island-effect-behind-large-spurious-warming-ghcn-temp-dataset/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson