Author Topic: German supermarket chain Lidl shuts 11 U.S. locations with immediate effect - is YOUR local affected  (Read 479 times)

Offline mountaineer

German supermarket chain Lidl shuts 11 U.S. locations with immediate effect - is YOUR local affected?
    *Ten store closures come amid to concerns they were 'underperforming'
    *The locations affected are in North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania and others
    *One store closure in Maryland was due to rising theft, insiders said
By Helena Kelly Consumer Reporter For Dailymail.Com
Published: 12:50 EDT, 17 July 2023 | Updated: 12:55 EDT, 17 July 2023

Budget superstore Lidl is shutting down 11 of its U.S. stores amid concerns they were underperforming.

The German retailer announced it would axe locations in North Carolina, Virginia, New Jersey, South Carolina, Maryland and Pennsylvania. ...

High theft rates have been a common theme of mass retail closures across the U.S.

In 2021 retailers lost a combined $94.5billion to shrink, a term used to describe theft and other types of inventory loss. And organized retail crime incidents soared by 26.5 per cent in the same year, according to the 2022 National Retail Security Survey.

Along with brazen daylight thefts, self-checkouts have also made it easier for people to walk out without paying for items. ...
I had no idea they had stores in the US. I've visited their stores in Germany a time or two.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online The_Reader_David

I too didn't know they had any stores in the U.S.  I occasionally shopped at their store in Sheffield, England, when I was on sabbatical there spring semester 2016 (though I mostly shopped at Waitrose when in the U.K. -- that might change next time I'm back there, they got rid of the free tea and newspapers and have been having stocking problems lately.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline mountaineer

Next to come: whining that these cities are "food deserts."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org